Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Pros & Cons of Buffet Style Bar Mitzvah
Previous  1  2

Peanut2

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 6:18 pm
Buffet is much more expensive, since they make lots lots more full. First, people take more than when served, and second the platters have to stay full. Usually there are more choices as well, which makes it even more expensive. Also much better.

The shmorg vs meal at wedding is also a type of food issue. In Israel lots of main meals are buffet, but the shmorg is still always better.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 3:20 am
As a guest, I always prefer buffet. I'm, not a big eater and standard portions of simcha meals, with all the course, are wasted on me. Plus this way I can pick what I want. Plus, here in E"Y, the wait service tends to be spotty, which diminishes the extra ambiance that table service usually adds.

I don't know what the cost differential is.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 7:25 am
OP here. The Bar Mitzvah is taking place in Brooklyn. Some caterers were very nice and honest on the phone and explained why the price was higher just for five to six simple hot dishes without carving stations etc. While other caterers gave us prices for buffet style more then a wedding that has the buffet and sit down dinner. But when I discussed it with friends the second they heard the word "buffet" they answered it must be cheaper.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 7:51 am
I was at a bar mitzvah where the main meal was buffet style - not classy. There was very little food and people kept sitting and wondering when the waiter would bring the food. But he was there just to clean up.

Then the same family made a buffet style bat mitzvah, and the set-up made it very clear that you were supposed to go get your own pasta and salads.

I don't know what tells people that they are suppoed to serve themselves. Just make sure this is clear.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics