Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Counterfeit "designer" handbags - time to fess up!
Previous  1  2

chen

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:11 am
[quote="mommyabc123"] Like if I buy a nine west purse or a "knock-off" either way, Louis Vuitton isn't gaining... I guess it would be stealing his design.

[\quote]

the knock-offs are the fashion equivalent of plagiarism or video/audio piracy. The original mfr. has a copyright on the design, and making a copy is exactly like making an illegal tape of someone's music or photocopying and selling someone's book.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:25 am
I don't see how this is any different than buying cheap (or not so cheap) clothing brands that are obvious copies of ultra-expensive designers, which, by the way, most clothing is.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:05 am
Not for me, but I'm not so surre it's stealing.

Chanie

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
stem wrote:
What exactly is the point of having a fake rolex or prada? Is it that it has the famous name on it? Isn't the point of having expensive things - their value?

Great Q Stem however I looked high and low for a watch I liked and finally found one- the Cartier Tank Watch. I love the shape, the roman numerals on the face and the style band. It's classic and timeless. There was no way I was spending $1700 on a watch, so the $150 alternative was quite tempting.

It's the same exact watch, made from the same materials, weighs the same etc. The only difference is the inside mechanism. To me it tells the correct time- so who cares if the inside is cartier or a misc. brand?? To me it's the LOOK of the watch, irrelevant that it's indeed a Cartier name brand.

http://www.worldofwatches.com/....._wtch
It's the top watch, 2nd from the left... the women's watch is identicle, just a drop smaller, & more dainty.

I bought my dh that watch from Ganeve. much cheaper and it's 18k white gold. (and it's also a swiss movement)

chen

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:29 pm
Chanie wrote:

I bought my dh that watch from Ganeve.

would that be a knockoff of Geneve? How aptly named!

Chanie

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:43 pm
No, it's a geneve.... I spelled it wrong. My dh liked the cartier and the geneve was the same but much much cheaper (not really a conterfeit though)

Blossom

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 9:47 pm
Cindy Before you make a trip to Canal Street LOL
And to everyone else..........................

IF people would only know how, and by whom these knockoffs are made they would be horrified and repulsed to ever buy it.
Most of these items are made in Asia where child labor is rampant and many of these items are made by hard working little kids in inhumane working condition.
For those items that need fur or sometimes leather it is just horrifying the methods they use to obtain a real good copy of these materials. They use dogs and cats fur, and they skin these animals alive!!! It is tzar balei chayim in the worst form!!!. I watched a clip recently of how an asian factory producing knockoffs conducted their manufactoring. To say it was haunting is just saying nothing. I couldn't sleep for nights. I can look up this clip if anyone's interested but I will not post it here because it is horrible!!
I also read an article how many of these knockoff companies benefit terrorist groups. I would have to look up this article because I don't remember how or why.
Besides, it is illegal in the US.

Chanie

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 11:11 am
Blossom wrote:
Most of these items are made in Asia where child labor is rampant and many of these items are made by hard working little kids in inhumane working condition.

and if you didn't buy these stuff, these kids may go hungry (you can look at it both ways)

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 11:16 am
Chanie wrote:
No, it's a geneve.... I spelled it wrong. My dh liked the cartier and the geneve was the same but much much cheaper (not really a conterfeit though)

I've seen a lot of chosson get the geneve as a chosson watch. Its very popular. It's not really conterfeit. it just looks similar.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 7:27 am
I find that a real cheaper handbag, a real leather handbag per se, but not a designer, looks better than a knockoff designer...

I just think they look cheasy...

same with watches....

Nomad

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 12:30 pm
the way I see it is that the designers are stealing from us with their overpriced bags - theyre really just charging us for the label...

so if I see a knockoff I like ..I have no problem buying one

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 12:42 pm
They're not stealing from anyone. Are you being forced to buy their products? You can choose not to buy the designer bags if you don't want to. This argument doesn't make sense to me.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 12:49 pm
Nomad wrote:
the way I see it is that the designers are stealing from us with their overpriced bags - theyre really just charging us for the label...

so if I see a knockoff I like ..I have no problem buying one

I agree.

chen

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 12:46 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
They're not stealing from anyone. Are you being forced to buy their products? You can choose not to buy the designer bags if you don't want to. This argument doesn't make sense to me.

quite.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics