Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Speechless in Boro Park
Previous  1  2  3

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 12:44 pm
thats my whole point. upon reading the post for the first time, my first thougth was, wow, a non kosher ice cream truck, you mean the whole truck and its contents are not kosher. I know it sounds silly, but thats a big judgment on something that she knew nothign about. I mean chances are , a box of ferara pans, or licorice may just be sold in that truck. Smile

cindy324

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 1:50 pm
Quote:
if they say "oh, its not kosher?" I tell them it is kosher we just don't eat it. It is important to teach your children correctly and not to assume the worst.

Bravo! It is important for parents to bring children up to realize that different people have different levels of observance and that just because a person's level is not as strict as your own doesn't make him tref or an apikores. you would not appreciate being called tref or an apikores because your level of observance doesn't match someone else's--and, no matter how strict you are, there is ALWAYS someone who is more medakdek than you.

I totally agree! Reminds me of the time when my husband (black velvet yarmulka, no beard, short sleeves, khakis) walked into the home of his chassidish accountant. Their 8 -9 year old son opened the door, let him in, and when the other yelled from upstairs "Who is there, Moishele?" Moishele answered : A [gentile] is here! Rolling Eyes

Or when we were walking down the street in Boro park and passed a bunch of little chassidishe kids playing on the street, and they yelled after my husband "Moderne" I didn't even know that was a real word!

timeout

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 3:50 pm
my BIL bought my son a parave ices from a non kosher ice cream truck (the kind that looks really not kosher music and all) my son told my MIL and she said oy vey that must have been a mistake we don't buy from those trucks and she was very upset.

It all depends who you're talking to if they allow it or not.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:58 pm
I buy my kids pareve stuff from the ice cream truck! There is nothing non-kosher about a truck! If I said that non CY was treif, I would be saying my parents eat treif or that I eat treif, since I do buy myself non CY stuff. Not for my husband and kids though.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics