Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Nanny salary question

lawlady

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:08 pm
I have a wonderful Nanny who going to reach the one year mark with us soon.

1) How much am I supposed to raise her salary?

2) I have heard that it is expected to give her one week's salary as an end-of-year bonus. Is this true?

I live in suburban NJ

Last edited by lawlady on Sun, Nov 28 2010, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 5:10 pm
I don't know about suburban NJ but yes here it is a custom to give one-week pay as Xmas bonus.
I haven't heard it is custom for a nanny to get annual pay raise, unless you started with lower than average pay or if her duties had increased. Personally, I'd rather give a generous bonus (which is one-off) than increase salary (which is ongoing and cannot be reduced).

cassandra

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 5:25 pm
I did not raise annually, but I did give an annual bonus-- anywhere between one week's salary to two weeks salary (depending on my dh's bonus, actually.) She was with my for nearly seven years and she was raised part of the way through-- but it ended up being a big jump in salary because of certain circumstances.

GetReal

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 8:00 pm
Now that we're on the topic, I was wondering, is it expected that I will pay my babysitter for the week she is out over the holidays?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 5:08 am
Depends on whether you're paying her weekly, or if she's paid hourly and work part-time.
If former, you do pay for the full week even though she's off on a public holiday. If latter, you pay only for the hours she works.

I'm talking about public holidays like Thanksgiving, x-mas.
For paid holidays, our contract states 4 weeks paid holiday--2 weeks at our choice, 2 weeks at her choice, at least 1 month advance notice.

GetReal

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 9:26 am
She works mornings and is paid hourly. Trying to figure this all out. So you're saying in that case she wouldn't be paid for public holidays? What about other leave?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 9:37 am
lawlady wrote:
I have a wonderful Nanny who going to reach the one year mark with us soon.

1) How much am I supposed to raise her salary? She currently makes $550/wk for infant twins. They just turned one year.

2) I have heard that it is expected to give her one week's salary as an end-of-year bonus. Is this true?

I live in suburban NJ

I don't know what your nanny's hours are but $550/wk is considered a very nice salary in my suburban NJ town so unless her responsibilities are increasing I do not think you need to give her a raise. A year end holiday bonus is expected (in my town you can give 1/2 week's salary but if you can give a whole week and want to make sure your nanny is happy, I'd give a full week).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics