Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do words have power?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 11:00 am
I mean, I assume that words do have power, b/c we’re so careful about ayin horah, right? We don’t discuss pregnancy lightly and we don’t discuss shidduichim unless people have a need to know.

So – my situation is as follows.

A friend told me that she’s moving before Pesach – she has to have work done on the new place yet, and she’s an artist and has two floors to move all her tools too, and they need special care. AND she has to make Pesach! So – I expressed my surprise and dismay; it’s such a hard busy time anyway, and to move also? She said she really wants to move now, and that she knows it will be hard and busy and that she can’t wait to be in her new place. Away, long story short, she falls down and now is in terrible pain and doesn’t know if she can do half of the things she set out to do.

Alongside of this, my coworker’s wife has been on Tehillim lists for a year and a half, receiving treatment yet becoming weaker and finally passing away Friday morning.

I think my query is obvious……

When we do things with good intent, how come they can go so terribly wrong?

happyone

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 11:24 am
Words definitely have power. However, I'm not sure I get where these two situations have anything to do with words.
As far as Tehillim, we know the tefillos have power, not necessarily in the obvious we see, For all you know she had less suffering due to the tehillim etc.. Not sure about your question in the first scenario.
Hope your friend feels better.

happyone

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 11:26 am
Words definitely have power. However, I'm not sure I get where these two situations have anything to do with words.
As far as Tehillim, we know the tefillos have power, not necessarily in the obvious we see, For all you know she had less suffering due to the tehillim etc.. Not sure about your question in the first scenario.
Hope your friend feels better.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 11:43 am
Perhaps I wasn't clean enough.....

Should I not hve said anything, when she said she was moving Erev Pesach?

Should I not have tempted the ayin horah, or whatever evil powers were lurking?

Frumom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 11:51 am
I think that your words would have power if you had used them in the following context: "I hope you break your leg." You didnt say that, you just asked why she wanted to move during such a busy time.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 1:04 pm
I don't really blame myself...but I just wonder about ayin horah, that's all.

and I just wish my words would have "worked" when saying Tehillim for the sick friend!

Tefila

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 6:14 pm
Yes they do big time Exclamation

amother

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 8:01 pm
life and death are in the power of a word
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics