Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How did she marry a kohen?
Previous  1  2

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 7:48 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I also always wondered about this. I knew someone years ago who was divorced and then married someone called Cohen (Of course there are occasional people whose surname is Cohen, but they are not Cohanim - I know someone like that too!). I always assumed their first marriage wasn't consummated. All the people involved are frum, and it seems unlikely they wouldn't have asked a rav. The first husband never remarried, so maybe he was gay or had some other physical or emotional problem which meant he didn't consumate the marriage.

Last names mean nothing. I know a Levy that's a Cohen, Cohen that's a Levy, Cohen that's a Yisrael....

B"H

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 8:20 pm
louche wrote:
shaini wrote:
I do know a case in Australia where a divorcee with a child (all legitimate from a 1st time kosher marriage) married a kohen and they're well known (both the 2nd husband and the wife) as always having been considered frum in the community. So it can be done, how I don't know.

Check out whether the second husband duchens or gets the Kohen aliyah. The only kohen-married-to-a-grushah whom I know walked into the marriage knowing and understanding that this would make him possul for kehuna. He no longer duchens or serves any of the functions of a kohen. As there are no children from this marriage, the next generation is not affected. .

huh?? it's still a sin, even if he doesn't mind the earthly ramifications.
am I missing something??

snow_white

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 10:44 am
louche wrote:
Perhaps the first marriage was never consummated.

This doesn't matter. Even if they never consummated the marriage (and thus the divorce was only necessary m'drabanan) she would be assur to a kohen. Even if a woman were engaged (eirusin) but never married, she would not be able to marry a kohen, AFAIK. I believe that the only man who must marry a besulah is a kohen gadol.

lilacdreams

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 10:48 am
louche wrote:
shaini wrote:
I do know a case in Australia where a divorcee with a child (all legitimate from a 1st time kosher marriage) married a kohen and they're well known (both the 2nd husband and the wife) as always having been considered frum in the community. So it can be done, how I don't know.

Check out whether the second husband duchens or gets the Kohen aliyah. The only kohen-married-to-a-grushah whom I know walked into the marriage knowing and understanding that this would make him possul for kehuna. He no longer duchens or serves any of the functions of a kohen. As there are no children from this marriage, the next generation is not affected. .

I know a couple with the exact same circumstance. Their heter to marry came from Rav Eliyashiv.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
The list as I remember was: a divorcee (which in this situation is not the case since it was annulled); a convert; relations with a non jew (some still consider the girl a besulah if she had relations exclusively with jewish men). There may be more restrictions, but this is all I can come up with at the top of my head.

Or if the father was not jewish.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics