Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Frum kids in public school, not by choice
Previous  1  2

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:03 pm
I've got one. I've posted elsewhere about it, but let's just say I think the menahel of his former school has a warm place in gehinom waiting for him.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:10 pm
chavamom wrote:
I've got one. I've posted elsewhere about it, but let's just say I think the menahel of his former school has a warm place in gehinom waiting for him.

Chavamom, thanks for replying. Please give me advise on how to be strong about it and give my son any knowledge about Judaism. Eventhough he is so young he felt the way his morah treated him. I don't want him to have a negative perception of judaism. What jewish activities do you do with your child?
I really appreciate your help!

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:15 pm
Well, my son is in high school, so it's a different story. But we have a tutor for him and he goes to a class with a rebbe on Sunday mornings with a group of boys his age that were formerly in Jewish schools and now find themselves in non-Jewish schools (not all of them are in public schools).

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:21 pm
chavamom wrote:
Well, my son is in high school, so it's a different story. But we have a tutor for him and he goes to a class with a rebbe on Sunday mornings with a group of boys his age that were formerly in Jewish schools and now find themselves in non-Jewish schools (not all of them are in public schools).

I see... There are Jewish kids in my ds' school but they are not from frum families. I would want to teach my son about basic things, at least... Being a BT is not helping it... Rolling Eyes

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:29 pm
amother - would you consider homeschooling? Esp. since it sounds like your son is young. My husband and I did homeschool one of my other kids for 7th grade when he was in a school that was having a lot of issues and we didn't have many choices until the start of the next school year. He claims it was the best educational year of his life until now (he's in Israel in yeshiva). And do check out if there are Sunday programs - a lot of communities have them b/c you certainly aren't the only one in this boat.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:33 pm
chavamom wrote:
amother - would you consider homeschooling? Esp. since it sounds like your son is young. My husband and I did homeschool one of my other kids for 7th grade when he was in a school that was having a lot of issues and we didn't have many choices until the start of the next school year. He claims it was the best educational year of his life until now (he's in Israel in yeshiva). And do check out if there are Sunday programs - a lot of communities have them b/c you certainly aren't the only one in this boat.

Homeschooling would definitely be our choice if we didn't have to work full time. Right now I don't have any other options besides PS... I am looking for Sunday classes right now. I though kiruv organizations would have something for PS kids...

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:38 pm
Aish and Chabad often do. Check it out.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:41 pm
chavamom wrote:
Aish and Chabad often do. Check it out.

Thanks. I'm doing that right now.
Over all, how is your son's experience in his school? Are you happy with his teachers?

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:50 pm
His teachers are great from an educational perspective. He's also in a school where 96% are black, so he has a small group of friends that are from the academic achievers. He wears a kippah to school and has no problem with it. He's sort of embraced an "I'm a Jew and I'm proud" attitude and no one has ever messed with him b/c of it. But again, he was a 14 year-old kid who had been in Jewish schools until the middle of 9th grade.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 12:54 pm
chavamom wrote:
His teachers are great from an educational perspective. He's also in a school where 96% are black, so he has a small group of friends that are from the academic achievers. He wears a kippah to school and has no problem with it. He's sort of embraced an "I'm a Jew and I'm proud" attitude and no one has ever messed with him b/c of it. But again, he was a 14 year-old kid who had been in Jewish schools until the middle of 9th grade.

My ds has great teachers now. It's so sad that these teachers are much friendlier than the ones he used to have in yeshivah... I am planning on transfering him back to a jewish school in a year or two. I am so worried that he is going to find yeshivah boring after spending some time in PS. Rolling Eyes
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics