Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Mirrors

zuncompany

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 9:38 am
With Zu it was no bigie to keep him away from mirrors until he cut his first tooth. He would scream bloody murder if he went near one. Tev on the other hand every time we have walked past one loves it. Zu brought Tev a toy the other day of his that had a mirror. Tev was fasinated and couldn't look away. I have never seen him so engaged before. Usually he will give a toy a min or two but thats it. he loved the mirror. Any suggestions?
sara

proudmom

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 3:40 pm
I dont think there is anything to worry about. if he is quiet thats good.

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 8:24 pm
I am also having trouble with this. My first two children it was no big deal.

My three month old already catches her reflection immediately and interacts with it when ever I walk by a mirror or the oven or a plate glass window. She is just a baby and I know it will only get worse LOL The only good thing is she started teething. I hope she gets her teeth soon!

My dh's Bubby is very adamant that we should be careful about not letting her look at herself in the mirror so we will keep on trying to avoid it. It is hard and without a real reason not to it is even harder especially since it makes her so happy!

Yael

Post Tue, Nov 02 2004, 12:06 pm
what is the source of this?
I tried for the first 6 months not to let levi look in a mirror, but he would love it when he saw himself. when I saw that no teeth were coming I sort of gave up, he would crawl around find the long mirror that reaches almost to the floor and stand there for a long time talking to himself and making faces. I couldnt stop it so I didnt bother. he got his first tooth at 12 months!! there's no way I could have stopped him till then.

curlyhead

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 2:21 am
With toys that have mirrors just put a rebbe picture there or some other picture. My grandmother told me the reason behind this custom but I forgot it - I should ask her

zuncompany

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 8:06 am
Thats a great idea. With Zu I just put tape over the mirrors. When we cover the mirrors with Tev though he gets fussy and upset.
Sara

Rivka

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 3:24 pm
I don't see why you shouldn't let your child look in the mirror, babies love looking at other babies and looking at the mirror seeing their reflection they love it. My son didn't get his first tooth till he was 10 months old and walking around the furniture. I didn't stop him from looking in the mirror I actually used to let him look and now he loves looking at himself in mirror (vain) and he runs over to the floor mirror and makes mad noises and likes to wave to himself or point.

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 4:27 pm
Rivka, I think it is a kbalatic thing that a kid shouldnt look into a mirro till they get their first tooth... I dont know the reasoning ,but maybe someone else does...my kid got his first tooth at 4 months so I really didnt have to worry, but I wouldnt make such a big deal out of it cuz how hard can you try?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Feb 05 2005, 9:13 pm
my husband asked a rov and was told it's superstition...but we all grew up with it?? is there SOME source?? (we're not holding by it, though...)

happyduck

Post Sat, Feb 05 2005, 11:54 pm
I do not think you are going to like this answer, but it comes from a time when people believed that spirits lived in mirrors. As children were considered more suseptable to them as they had no way to fight back, they were kept away until they had a "defense mechanism". As "spirits were thought to enter through the mouth, a tooth was a top weapon. (Source, The book of Myths and Legends"). It was an incredible common belief in the ancient world.

sarahd

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 1:50 am
Happy duck, I hope you're right, because my baby has been looking in mirrors for ages and my husband thinks it's so cute. He never heard of this idea of not letting babies look in the mirror and as for me, I couldn't remember till when they're not supposed to - till they walk? talk? - so I wasn't very convincing when I told him to keep the baby away from the mirror.

hadasa

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 2:48 am
As I said in the fish thread, I personally keep those Bubbe Maises I heard in my or my husband's family because of Kibud Eim. If you didn't hear it from your own Bubbe, I see no point in keeping other people's Bubbe Maises.

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 2:50 am
Quote:
As children were considered more suseptable to them as they had no way to fight back, they were kept away until they had a "defense mechanism

Very interesting Wink

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 9:51 am
so is it actually avoida zara to avoid mirrors?

happyduck

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 10:30 am
ForeverYoung wrote:
so is it actually avoida zara to avoid mirrors?

Whoa, not touching this question with a 10 foot pole. Definatly ask your own shaila.

Tovah

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 2:26 pm
thats sounds scary happy duck

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 5:41 pm
Sorry, Happy, I was just htinking out loud.

Here are more thoughts:

it could be sheidim or something like them (shaidim are not mirror lovers, thoug - they're more into hot places) and have a rationale behind it;

or one of those irrational believes of goim that stemmed from the Jewish minhag of covering mirrors during shiva (lo aleinu) -
if the Jews do it, then there must be something in it, and so on, untill we get to the tooth "lokshen mit...??"
(you know, in Ukraine goim cover mirrors too);

but if it is rooted in avoda zara, is it considered that if we follow it? Confused

proudmom

Post Mon, Feb 07 2005, 7:47 am
happyduck wrote:
I do not think you are going to like this answer, but it comes from a time when people believed that spirits lived in mirrors. As children were considered more suseptable to them as they had no way to fight back, they were kept away until they had a "defense mechanism". As "spirits were thought to enter through the mouth, a tooth was a top weapon. (Source, The book of Myths and Legends"). It was an incredible common belief in the ancient world.

Is it good spirits or bad?

proudmom

Post Mon, Feb 07 2005, 7:49 am
FY the goim took a lot of the jewish stuff from us. For example you have holloween, you have x mas. So probably the thing about covering the mirrors they got from us too.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Feb 07 2005, 10:33 am
y, thats what I ment.
Haloween is totally pagan, though, I think, b/c its the day when all baddies come out. Nothing Jewish in that.
And xmas too - resurection of yoshka is not a Jewish minhag copied.
However, N Year happens to be 8 days after the resurecion, and many people think it has to do w/ bris. I disagree, though.

Goim in Ukraine have an interesting custom not to pass things over the thresh hold. We think they picked it up from the prohibition to carry on Shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics