Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Therapy?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 3:50 pm
At what point do you decide that your child needs professional help?
My 9 yr old daughter's self-esteem is so low. She's convinced that no one wants to be her friend. She says she feels "different" from everyone else. It doesn't help matters that a classmate of hers lives on the block, and this girl is very mean to my daughter, to the extent that my daughter didn't even want to go outside just now because it would mean walking past this girl. She actually said to me, "I don't want to go anywhere near her. It makes my whole body shake to walk past her."
She recently asked me for a diary so she could let her feelings out (her words). She said that having the diary will make her feel better, that it'll be her friend.
And I live in the NY area, if anyone knows of a therapist who can help her, I'd really appreciate it

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 6:17 pm
I don't know enough about 9 year olds to answer this question. But it seems to me, if she's that afraid of the neighbor, she might be bullied by that girl. And it could be that girl is constantly feeding your daughter the above stuff, that she's not good etc...

ice coffee

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 12:49 pm
All I can say is don't wait to get help. These things only get worse if not dealt with. At least go and get the therapists opinion. The worst that happens is you find out she doesn't need it but at least you did your histadlus. I have heard that play therapy is the way to go, much less threatening to the child.

Mama Shifra

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 9:54 am
amother, how's it going with your daughter?

I just wanted to add that I agree with "life'sgreat" that your daughter is probably being bullied. American Girl put out a book on bullying for both parents and girls called Stand Up for Yourself and Your Friends: Dealing with Bullies and Bossiness and Finding a Better Way by Patti Kelley Criswell. You may want to get a copy of it to find stratagies of coping for your daughter.

Also, I just wanted to add, that in my experience, kid's self esteem improves if they are good at something. What is it that you daughter is good at or wants to learn more about? Does she like swimming, crafts and/or is artistic, music? You may want to look into a hobby for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children