Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Do you buy parents/inlaws a chanukah gift

How much do you spend on chanukah gifts for parents/inlaws
$50-$100 per couple  
 25%  [ 9 ]
$25-50 per couple  
 25%  [ 9 ]
$10-$25 per couple  
 22%  [ 8 ]
$1-$10 per couple  
 27%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 36

shmoozer

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 9:15 pm
My sil just called me about a gift for my inlaws. I was a little (a lot) shocked that she wanted each of us to give 50 dollars towards a gift. Am I wrong? I don't see why we have to buy parents so many gifts - b-days, anniversary, chanukah, purim, shevuos flowers... it comes out a lot of $ every year, which we don't have, and I don't want to be different than everyone else in the family. They want to buy 10 pieces of a certain salad dish, good for the dips on shabbos. I told her that she should buy 6, which would be $25 for each. I think it was a nice compromise, but I feel sooooo mean. WWYD?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 9:33 pm
I guess your choice for no didn't come up or you didn't write it all. My answer is no, but I don't get anyone a gift for chanukah.

shmoozer

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 9:37 pm
you're right. the last one didnt come up. how do I edit it?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 9:40 pm
shmoozer wrote:
you're right. the last one didnt come up. how do I edit it?

you have to ask a mod

Merrymom

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 9:53 pm
I don't get them anything at all, just the kids get spoiled and sometimes I buy something for my DH.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 10:05 pm
I dont get my parents or in laws anything. I DO buy my mother a very nice gift since she babysits for me so out of appreciation I get her something really nice any time I could (Chanuka, Purim, Sukkos and Pesach)

Mommyme1

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 3:59 am
I gave a beautiful blown up picture of DD. I took the pic myself so it didn't cost so much but I know it's something they both (parents & inlaws) really appreciate.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 4:16 am
no.

drumjj

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 7:56 am
no is the answer. I dont get anything from my parents or inlaws so.. although my mother in law gave my husband chanukah gelt. I felt a bit annoyed that I didnt get any. is that weird. but no. we dont even give the kids. only chanuka gelt

Merrymom

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 1:41 pm
drumjj wrote:
no is the answer. I dont get anything from my parents or inlaws so.. although my mother in law gave my husband chanukah gelt. I felt a bit annoyed that I didnt get any. is that weird. but no. we dont even give the kids. only chanuka gelt

So make sure DH buys you a nice piece of jewelry with the money, then go show it to mil and say "Thank you so much for the Chanukah gelt, DH was so nice and bought me this with it, isn't he sweet?" LOL

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 1:51 pm
We don't give gifts and only give gelt to the kids and grandchidlren.
We give X to the single kids and double to the married ones.
We get parents gifts for Rosh hashana, pesach and birthdays.
We give kids gifts for Rosh hashana, Pesach, birthdays and anniversaries
We get gifts from kids for birthdays. That's it.
Sometimes for Pesach or RH.
For our anniversary they send us a fruit basket (google www.kesemhapri.co.il) and you will see what I mean.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 3:31 pm
If I see something my inlaws or parents would love, we buy it. My MIL's bday comes out around Chanukah.

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 3:35 pm
I usually give pictures in a frame... I take my kids once a year around chanukah for professional pics and give it to them then...

my parents I'll buy a gift if I know something they want. they babysit my kids all the time.

spoons

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 7:39 pm
Nope, just to the kids (and nieces and nephews at the Chanuka party, and they to my kids). But not too expensive (they were in the $10-20 range)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics