Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bunkbeds for 2 and 4 year old?

precious

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 9:00 pm
what age would you put your kids in a bunk bed? the other choice is to get a toddler bed for the 2 year old, but we would probably still need a bunk bed eventually.
also, where is a good place to get a bunk bed in brooklyn - cheap, yet good quality.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 9:08 pm
4 is really young for a bunk bed. I'd get a toddler bed or... how about a trundle?

nicole81

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 9:30 pm
why don't you get a bunk bed that separates into two beds, and then attach them when the kids are old enough?

that's what I did, and I put my dd in the top bunk when she was about 5 years old (she is the size of a 7-8 year old though.)

louche

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 9:38 pm
The consumer products safety commission says children should NOT be in upper bunks before age 6. Younger than that---and it's not really age but size that matters, so if they're small for their age, wait a year or two to be safe--they can get caught between the bed and the wall or between the slats and strangle ch"V.

Rodent

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 10:10 pm
There is no way that I would use a top bunk at that age. We have bunks with a trundle and use the bottom bunk and trundle right now. When one is old enough to use the top bunk then the trundle will be for any friend sleep overs, or if we have more kids then another kid may end up moving into it.

If I absolutely HAD to use a bunk at that age I would go for one of these lo-line varieties:

That's a local company but I presume similar is available elsewhere.

ETA - I found this pic online, they're not my bunks, but the company also sell chests of drawers that fit in that gap under the top bed/beside the lower one.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 10:14 pm
we've discussed this before. bunk beds are the major cause of accidents in homes with kids under a certain age, myabe someone can bump up that post.

mommy7

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 10:18 pm
Look online for something cheap that separates into 2 beds. Just warning you, don't get something beautiful if you have boys. My bunkbed looks like we bought it during the Blitz and it's only 5 years old. And no little kids on the top! Even with the rail there, they squiggle around a lot at night and can totally roll through the gap where the ladder goes.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 10:19 pm
you really think your 2 yr old wont climb off the bed all night long?be it a toddler bed or a regular bed? 2 yr olds in my opinion still belong in cribs. (then agian my2 y.o. climbs out of the crib too...)

avimom

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 10:24 pm
after researching, we are getting another toddler bed for at least another year or two. It's not such a large investment (especially compared to a bunk bed) and for us, it's worth it safety wise. If you still want a bunk-bed, there's one for 200 at walmart that has great reviews and separates into two beds. However, I have heard that there is very little space between the bottom and top bunk...

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 10:59 pm
I wouldn't have a bunk bed in my house at this point, because my sister has 2 and when we're in her house, my 2 yr. old always climbs up for fun and falls down. My brother was 3 when he fell off the ladder of our old bunk bed and broke his elbow. Maybe when my youngest kid is a teenager I'd consider it.

aidelmaidel

Post Sat, Dec 11 2010, 11:14 pm
We waited until my dd was 6 before we let her go to the top bunk.

And not so long ago she swung her legs over, missed the ladder rung, and wasn't holding on the top and fell onto her wrist.

BH, she was fine, but needed xrays and a splint (just in case it was a fracture).

She's definitely more cautious. But I say, wait if you can!

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 1:20 am
We have something similar to what Rodent posted. No slats or spaces though. DS#1 (not yet 5) climbs up to his bed via DS#2 (barely 3) sleeping space. We have a trundle that we pull out at night so DS#2 doesn't roll off the bed (he kept breaking the bed rail). DS#1 has a bed rail that goes from his head to the spot where DS#2's bed lies underneath. They've been in their beds like that for about a year I think.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 1:57 am
I think the girls were 5 when we started using the top bunk. Before that, we used the bottom and a pullout and an expand - a - bed from Ikea.

Didi

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 2:29 am
We have the Bobs Discount furniture bunk bed, what I love about it most is that it has real steps, not a ladder.
http://www.mybobs.com/Colorado......aspx

I hope that link works, that is the bunk bed we have. I do feel that itis safe for my 4 yr old to sleep.

losingweight

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 8:13 pm
I ordered a beautiful wooden bunk bed today @ Brooklyn baby for $249.00 plus mattresses.

precious

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 9:20 pm
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't have room for 2 beds, and a crib in the room for my baby. thats why I need bunk bed or toddler bed. my 2 year old is constantly climbing in and out of the crib now, which is why he needs a bed.
my 4 year old is cautious type and I can't imagine he would get caught in the slats - he's not so small - is that the reason why not?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 11:43 pm
how old is the baby?

precious

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 10:00 pm
almost one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics