Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tanya Question for Lubavitch only

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:15 am
OK, as most of you know I'm not Lubavitch and I'm not pretending to be, but because I like to study and learn I'm learning Tanya.

Please note I'm not trying to denigrate or make fun or anything, I want to understand and I apologize in advance.

I have a question on today's Tanya. In it it talks about the ventricles of the heart and how the right side of the heart and the brain do not have blood. But they do, though there is a blood-brain barrier, but blood still flows through, and blood flows into the right ventricle and from there into the lungs.

So how does that affect the Tanya reading? Am I missing something?

Please only Lubavitchers answer because I don't want this to be an attack kind of thing...just trying to understand.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:38 am
HindaRochel, from my understanding (from what I've been taught), the Tanya doesn't mean literally that there is no blood on the right side of the heart. It means more where it "originates" from, if we could pinpoint that. Make sense?

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:46 am
That makes sense...thank you...The whole question made me go study the circulatory system again!

Does anyone else have any insight?

(I'm one of those people who get stuck on things and needs an answer to go on-I once stopped following an otherwise wonderful shiur because the woman speaking said, by way of allegory, "like we put tehina on meat on Shabbat because otherwise it is dry..." and I couldn't get passed thinking "puts tehina on meat?")

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:54 am
I did the same, plus I studied today's Tanya extra well, so thank you for asking.

I don't know if you're using chabad.org to learn the Tanya, but if you are, above each Tanya lesson there are a few options for an audio class, which would be a more comprehensive explanation of the Tanya for the day. Here's the link, in case you don't have it: http://www.chabad.org/dailystu...../2010

Funny about the techina on meat, but don't people put techina in their schwarma pita?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:54 am
I'm citing from the explanation given in the sefer "Chassidus Mevueres" on Tanya.

Quote:
"When it says the right ventricle "doesn't have blood" the Rebbe doesn't mean that the blood doesn't reach there at all* rather the function of the right ventricle is not to circulate the blood**; rather it is to infuse a living spirit into the blood, because the blood which gathers (from all the limbs) to the right ventricle, comes from there to the lung, and in the lung it receives the living spirit which becomes enclothed in it.*** (comments on Tanya)

*this is explained by the Alter rebbe in a different place in these words : There are two ventricles in the heart, in one (the right ventricle) all the blood is gathered that rise from the limbs to the heart, and exit through the second ventricle" [meaning that after they receive the breath of life in the lung they return and exit throught the heart to the limbs through the left ventricle] Torah Or breishis D"H tzenah Ure'ena (7'4)) - thus it is explained that the blood is found in both ventricles (since the blood gathers in one ventricle, and returns to the body through the second)

This is explained more in sefer Maamorim of the Alter rebbe 5567 - pg 211: "there are in the heart two ventricles, the left in which all the blood is gathered [after it already received the living breath in the lung] and exits to all the limbs, and they return (from the limbs) and enter the right ventricle... as written in medical texts." Also see the notes of the rebbe the Tzemach Tzedek on this maamar in Or Hatorah (breishis, vol6 958:1)

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:57 am
and the next two footnotes:

** not so the left ventricle; it's function is the blood, that is the circulation of the blood (after it already received within it the living breath in the lung) to all of the limbs in order to give them life - and therefore referring to it it says "it is full of blood". Additionally, the reviis of blood that is in the heart on its own (see above pag 11 in the explanation and comment 5) is found davka in the left ventricle. (comments on tanya)

*** See Zohar which was brought in footnote 2: "bliba is trein heicholin, bechad domah ub'chad ruchah" (the hearrt has two chambers, in one there is dam, and in one there is breath (spirit?)", and see Etz Chaim and Reishis Chochmah which are brought there. Likuttei Torah Shir Hashirim cited previously in the "biur" (pg 11). -
and the intention is to the component of air in the blood that gives man life (that is called Oxygen") [comments on tanya]
He'aros al tanya -comments on Tanya, in this sefer are culled from the Lubavitcher Rebbe's explanations in his sichos and maamorim, letters.

Last edited by TzenaRena on Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:00 am
Thank you, Tzena!

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:02 am
Thank you both!! Really you helped me get on with learning immensely. This puts a whole different slant on things...

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:10 am
Ali V'hatzlichi, HindaRochel.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:19 am
GR wrote:
Thank you, Tzena!
Thank you for giving me the chance to look this up in my brand new sefer purchased this year for hei Teves! Smile

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:31 am
Good for you. Smile It's only been a week but I haven't opened mine yet.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:52 am
Thanks Tzena...I also speculated it was because the blood was pre-oxygenated (pre-lung) not post lung and full of the "life" of oxygen.

abound

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 9:52 am
I'm not lubavitch (but chassidish) and I really liked the explanation. Thanks!

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:08 am
Tzena Rena & GR are just two of the thousands of brilliant, educated Lubavitcher women out there (I am SO not one of them, that's why I sent my DD's to Bais Rivka!!! Wink)

Ladies, I take off my hat to you (my sheitel's underneath!) You make me really proud to know you both.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:18 am
Well again thank you and I hope you all don't mind if I give a shout out some other time if I have a question...thanks for your help...I really appreciate it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics