Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Lamed vav'nicks
Previous  1  2

cookielady

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 10:48 am
GR wrote:
Add me to the list of people who think Charlie is a hidden tzaddik. Smile

My brother said the same thing after Charlie came to his son's Bar Mitzva.

HindaRochel

louche wrote:
My word, I googled and saw pix--I think he used to sometimes hang out in my old neighborhood 30 or so years ago. Don't recall his attending any simchas, though. Can there be two guys who go round in denim overalls and a Bukharian kippah? (I don't remember the buttons but it was a long time ago.)

I also recognize him...weird...

gryp

louche wrote:
My word, I googled and saw pix--I think he used to sometimes hang out in my old neighborhood 30 or so years ago. Don't recall his attending any simchas, though. Can there be two guys who go round in denim overalls and a Bukharian kippah? (I don't remember the buttons but it was a long time ago.)

Something tells me not just Crown Heights knows him. He's often on the subway.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 10:50 am
louche wrote:

Something tells me not just Crown Heights knows him. He's often on the subway.

Malasheval

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 10:52 am
Are there also lamed vovnikot? Like female lamed vovniks?

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 10:53 am
my brother once told me that the vilner gaon in his time was one of the lamed vav tzadikim. I told him, "really?" and he told me that while he was famous for his learning he had tremendous tzidkus that ppl didn't even know the depth of it.

so the gedolim of our time are probably part of the lamud vav tzadikim. Which would probably eliminate the op's question.

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 11:01 am
We once had a shabbos guest who knew Charlie from many years ago, in his previous life as a lawyer, I believe.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 11:52 am
I always tease my husband that he is a lamed vovnik.
He just can't admit it because it's against the rules...Wink
He really is the nicest guy I know.

joy613

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 11:57 am
Can someone explain to me the whole lamed vavnik thing. I have a bunch of questions about this.
Where is the source of this concept? Why are there these people in the world? Is there a purpose to their tzidkus being hidden? Do they know they are one? Why does everyone always assume it's that homeless man who who looks and acts crazy that is a lamed vavnik? Just curious about all this.

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 3:31 pm
GR wrote:
Charlie is a funny old guy in overalls, with pins stuck through them. He wishes people sayings like:"Merry Passover." He seems to be at every simcha. He brought balloons to my wedding.

I don't remember how to post a picture but here's a link where you can see him: http://www.crownheights.info/I.....30079

I think a lot of the people who are considered "off" or "mentally ill" might really be tzaddikim. Surely a tzaddik sees the world differently from you and I and the "eyes that see" our world for what it clearly is might make someone act differently from everyone else.

If you talk to Charlie for more then five minutes, you can see clearly that he's intelligent. He has his "shtick" that makes him Charlie Buttons, but really, look at what an emesdik neshama he is.

shnitzel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 4:12 pm
Charlie hangs out at a shul on the UWS during the day most of the week and is in Crown Heights for Shabbos and simchas. So those of you who know him and are surprised likely know him from the UWS.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 4:30 pm
He davens in the same minyan as my husband on Shabbos. From what I hear, he's far from crazy or abnormal. He is very with it.

bird

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 8:32 pm
as far as I know charlie shows up at every simcha even if there are a few the same night . he came to my lechaim and blew balloons. a most welcome guest!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics