Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Fancy but EASY dessert for Sheva Brachos
1  2  Next

justcallmeima

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 2:56 pm
Mazel tov! My cousin jusy got engaged and I will be making Sheva Brachos for about 30 people. I was going to make this easy awesome chocolate mousse, but DH said it's really not safe to use raw eggs, so I'm back to the drawing board. I usually make straberry shortcake, but I make it every time, so was looking for something different. I want it to be really beautiful, but very very EASY- I work full time and have a large family.

TIA

mom/2

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 3:12 pm
You could make the hot chocolate cake - it's just a batter and u divide them in individual pans or ramekins. Buy the ice cream.
Or make Brownie squares, keep them warm and serve w/ ice cream.

Could buy 2 or 3 different flavor sherberts. Looks very pretty.

I have a 2 layer Ice cream (Eclair), it's not hard but you have to freeze one layer before making the other.
Can't think of anything easy and fancy now offhand. Will post if I do.

obagys

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 3:12 pm
I have made 3 sheva brachos in the past 2 years, and for dessert for one of them I did "upside down cupcakes". You just make regular cupcakes (chocolate) and when you take them out of the pan, you turn them upside down. Then I made a yummy chocolate ganache frosting and sprinkled white chocolate chips on top of that. To serve, I drizzled chocolate syrup on the plate decoratively, placed the cupcake on top of that, and then put one of those candies that look like raspberries on the side. It was a really beautiful presentation but it's basically frosted cupcakes! I do have pics if you want to see it.

justcallmeima

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 3:23 pm
Pictures of anything would be helpful! I also live very oot and we don't have a lot of ingredients like white chocolate chips and candies that look like raspberries!!

obagys

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 5:21 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
Pictures of anything would be helpful! I also live very oot and we don't have a lot of ingredients like white chocolate chips and candies that look like raspberries!!

Ok here's a picture, but this is on a serving tray cause I gave some extras to a friend where my daughter spent Shabbos. You can do a vanilla frosting and then chocolate chips or chocolate shavings instead if you don't have access to many ingredients. Also you can use any red candy, it's just to give it a splash of color for the presentation Smile

cutegal

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 5:30 pm
Mom/2 - can you share your eclair recipe please?

How about cookie crunch brownies? Recipe is in KBD entertains but you can really use any easy brownie recipe and add in some crushed parve oreo type cookies and serve with ice cream and some fresh fruit and drizzle chocolate syrup- it would make a beatiful presentation.

Or make something with puff pastry like fruit turnovers or apple purses or add a chocolate filling inside or napoleans with a cream filling.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 5:37 pm
sorry, I didn't take pictures, but here's an easy, pretty dessert.

instant pudding mix--vanilla and chocolate. buy enough for your crowd.
if you're making milchigs, I recommend you use whole milk- the pudding will be thicker.
chocolate chip cookies.

prepare pudding according to instructions. get some disposable fancy dessert bowls (the really small ones.) place a spoonful of vanilla and a spoonful of chocolate pudding in the bowl at the same time, side by side. run a spoon down the middle to smooth the puddings together. take one cookie for each bowl. break the cookie in half, and stick the two halves in the bowl where the colors join near the side of the bowl. make the cookies stand up with the breaks facing in the same direction.

nothing like simple pudding and cookies to make people happy. it's easy to do, and it really looks quite pretty. it's very simple to do this for a large crowd.

allrgymama

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 5:59 pm
No matter what I bake (and I bake a lot) what people always ask for is my pecan pie. It's a recipe that I modified from the Betty Crocker Cookie book that was originally for Pecan Bars. The crust didn't work well, but the filling is fantastic.

Ingredients

• 4 eggs, slightly beaten
• 1 ½ cups sugar
• 1 ½ cups corn syrup
• 3 TBSP margarine, melted
• 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 2 ½ cups chopped pecans
• 2- 9 inch frozen, unbaked, pie shells OR 30 mini tartlet shells (3 inches)

Preparations

• Pre-heat oven to 350.
• Combine eggs, sugar, corn syrup, margarine and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
• Place the frozen pie shells onto a lined baking sheet (to catch any drips).
• Distribute the chopped pecans evenly between the two pie shells. Pour the batter over the nuts.
• Bake at 350 until set, about 3-40 minutes.

Keep them covered in an oven that's been pre-heated and then turned off so that they can be served warm. I always serve with whipped cream, but you could serve with pareve ice cream, if you want to (and if your meal is fleishig's and you can't serve milichig).

You can also sprinkle a few chocolate chips in the bottom of each shell before you fill them so that there's a nice chocolate surprise at the bottom

(They're also DELICIOUS out of the freezer.)

hcohen

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 6:02 pm
if you're making dairy, you can do regular choc chip cookies + chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips. arranged properly on platters, the contrast of colors makes for a great presentation! if I remember correctly, regular Tollhouse brand peanut butter chips are dairy but kosher, and probably not hard to find.

a pareve recommendation- Blueberry Bars, http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/B.....aspx. amazingly moist, and lasts for a full week. I made these for the first time for a shabbat kallah and everyone raved about them for months, including my husband who doesnt like cake. can also use strawberry, cherry, etc pie filling, just make sure it's a bold color for a great presentation when cut.

mint glazed brownies also always look fancy, but are just simple brownies with glaze.

mazal tov!

Bliss

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 6:09 pm
We just did a this- a pizza slice of sorbet with a strawberry sauce and cut up fruits around. It was very colorful, attractive and refreshing.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 7:33 pm
If you want a variation of the typical sorbet, try melting two different colors and freezing them in layers in a pan. Use an ice cream scooper and scoop balls of the sorbet neatly onto plates- they will be two-toned and look really great!

tsiggelle

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 7:42 pm
really simple.

put pineapple(or whatever) bits from a can in a cup/glass/whatever you want to serve it in.

add boiling water to jello powder according to package , pour over bits and allow to cool.

you can do same or complimenting colours together

if you want to patchke a little more , you can;
do one layer of jello,
put a few bits of canned whatever when the first layer is firm
and do a second layer with different colour on top.
you can coordinate the colours to be really striking

lollygirl

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 7:55 pm
This is from one of the Kosher by Designs.
You simply need 3 different flavors of sorbet.
In lined muffin tins, put semi melted sorbet (let's say strawberry) 1/3 of the way up. Freeze 15 minutes. Do the same with your next flavor, say lemon and put on top of frozen strawberry layer. Freeze 15 minutes. Repeat with last sorbet flavor, e.g. lime. Freexe 15 minutes. Cover muffin tins with saran.

When ready to serve, pop out of muffin cup upside down. Drizzle plate with sauce, sprinkle with fruit. You get a 3 color ice cream dessert with the beautiful edges from the muffin cup. It's GORGEOUS and SO easy!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 8:21 pm
I have a chocolate mousse recipe made from egg beaters, not raw eggs, if you would like.

I made a strawberry shortcake jelly roll which looked very pretty (plain jelly roll recipe, sliced strawberries that sat in some sugar, whipped cream, roll up, whipped cream on top with whole strawberries on top of that).

stargazer

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 8:23 pm
Mini trifles look really pretty and fancy, and are not too hard. You can make all the parts a couple days in advance then assemble the day of the party. You can buy small wine glasses like this http://www.emiyoshi.com/EMI-REWG5.html in a party store. If you want an exact recipe let me know.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 8:25 pm
why dont you make your mousse cake without raw eggs -
there are recipes on this site with eggless mousse

you can make instant pudding - with 1.5 cups cold soy or rice milk -
then fold it into a 16oz whipped cream that has been whipped up

it becomes a nice thick eggless mousse

Reality

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 8:29 pm
My sister made a really yummy dessert for my other sister's sheva brachos. She baked an oatmeal-apple crisp. She bought pareve vanilla ice cream. Obviously if it is a milchig affair than you can buy the real thing. Then she bought clear plastic flute glasses like a champagne glass I think. She alternated layers. I think she also bought mini spoons. It looked gorgeous & the taste was out of this world!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 8:30 pm
Reality wrote:
My sister made a really yummy dessert for my other sister's sheva brachos. She baked an oatmeal-apple crisp. She bought pareve vanilla ice cream. Obviously if it is a milchig affair than you can buy the real thing. Then she bought clear plastic flute glasses like a champagne glass I think. She alternated layers. I think she also bought mini spoons. It looked gorgeous & the taste was out of this world!

ooh!!! that DOES sound delicious!!!!

octopus

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 8:31 pm
a big runny chip cookie (warmed up chocolate chip cookie - made in a shallow individual pan- don't know if you know what I'm talking about).

warm up before serving. Put ice cream on top and use chocolate syrup if wanted to decorate. yum!

justcallmeima

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 9:09 pm
Thank you so much everyone for your amazing suggestions. I knew I came to the right place! Now I'll have to do a practice run of each dessert for the next few shabbosim and let the family decide which one wins (or let me decide which one was easiest!!) Thanks again everyone. More suggestions always welcome, but this is awesome!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics