Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
If one thing could be changed ...
Previous  1  2

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 5:37 pm
Quote:
Men are just as vain. Check out all the face products they can get. Creams, aftershave, spot things (if they weren't vain they wouldn't care that they had acne on their face).

all thanks to advertising and the desire to make MONEY, nothing to do with man's essential nature

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 5:48 pm
Motek yes they got punished but the point here is it is still in a mans nature some anyway, to look good.

Wonder though if it stems from being told as tots how gorgeous they are etc that they end up wanting to keep themselves that way.

Coz not all men are like that.

Who knows and quite frankly as long as my make-up doesn't disappear and my husband doesn't take over my mirror etc ...... I don't care Wink

And if a man is told they look handsome you think it doesn't make them feel good. Nonething to do w/h advertising I think!
Sorry on this I totaly disagree for Once! Smile
Then again I'm not a man ...... I think

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 6:05 pm
nah, you don't "totally disagree" ... come on Freilich, you have boys and girls - you don't see a difference in their behavior even as little children in this regard?

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 6:10 pm
Yes one of my boys is the worlds greatest shloch needs a womens, mothers friendly reminder constantly!!

Whereas my other son is quiet into looking presentable tucked in and all. W/h shirts irioned to a tea. His poor wife Wink

My daughter changes 4 times aday no exxageration Rolling Eyes . I don't help her, she helps herself Oh well she'll outgrow it once she knows her wardrobe isn't endless.

Rivka

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 4:59 am
You can get girls also who are messy and schlochy. To them we say "why can't she dress nicely, she should act more like a lady" to the men who are scruffy, it's "oh, he's male" That is because of society saying girls should be like x and boys should be like y. So motek everything is always due to society and advertising seems to mould it quicker now.
I am sure before the men's moiusteriser was put on the market the men would use their wife's cream or sisters.

supermom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 7:59 am
funny rivka I was just coming into this thread just to make that same point thanks now I don't have to type so much. 8)

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 6:18 pm
Rivka wrote:
That is because of society saying girls should be like x and boys should be like y.

yet the Torah makes it quite clear that women are interested in beautifying themselves and in acquiring clothing and jewelry (which is why simchas yom tov for them is clothing and jewelry), not men

as you said, society influences us and it's not the nature of man to be "into" his looks, and if a man is into it, then he's a product of secular society's influence

this is why, the more sheltered the man, talking about frum men here who are minimally exposed to the media, the less interested they are in their looks

Tila

Post Fri, Jul 21 2006, 1:02 pm
Looks are so simple. I wish I could change the way I see things, the stupid things I have done, my age, the choices I have made, etc. I think I would change my dress size.

chen

Post Fri, Jul 21 2006, 1:31 pm
Motek wrote:
I think that if women were polled and asked: what ONE thing they could change about their appearance, they would answer: their WEIGHT

and I think that if men were polled and asked: what ONE thing they could change about their appearance, they would answer: their HEIGHT or more HAIR

what do you think?

I think that's true, on the average. (come on ladies, obviously not true for EVERY man and EVERY woman on the planet! But you probably get 3/4 of the Western population in there.)

shayna82

Post Fri, Jul 21 2006, 1:52 pm
Im happy with my weight thank g0d.I would change my nose if I had a chance. Im pretty much happy with everyting else. whats the point of not being happy, in real life cant really change much with out sacrificing money and going under the knive?

chen

Post Fri, Jul 21 2006, 2:24 pm
Tefila wrote:
Whereas my other son is quiet into looking presentable tucked in and all. W/h shirts irioned to a tea. His poor wife Wink

I'd say his LUCKY wife! Unless you mean to say YOU iron his shirts? shock

chen

Post Fri, Jul 21 2006, 2:29 pm
Motek wrote:
men proud of their looks? admiring themselves and preening in front of the mirror? how distinctly unmanly

ahem...who was the good-looking Tanno who used to sit outside the mikvoh so that women would see him and later conceive beutiful children?

The diff. bet. wmn and men as reported in some TIME magazine poll is that men for the most part are basically satisfied with their looks, while women for the most part are not. Even supermodles will tell you "I'm not that good-looking...I have a crooked nose, my thighs are too rubbery, my eyelashes are nonexistent, one earlobe is bigger than the other..." whereas most men polled describe themselves as quite good-looking.
edited by mod2 pm me

shayna82

Post Fri, Jul 21 2006, 4:11 pm
I heard that also.
edited by mod2 pm me

Motek

Post Fri, Jul 21 2006, 6:31 pm
chen wrote:
ahem...who was the good-looking Tanno who used to sit outside the mikvoh so that women would see him and later conceive beutiful children?

I fail to see the connection between that and what you quoted from my post about preening and admiring oneself Confused

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jul 22 2006, 6:41 pm
Weight for women and height/hair for men?
yes, it’s probably true.

In theory I wouldn’t mind being a bit taller, but then I would be taller than dh, he wouldn’t like it, unless he was taller too! LOL

Quote:
Skinny legs? Let's trade! My skirts are loose in the waist, tight across the thighs. Not fun shape to shop for! I have always worried about my weight.

Same figure here, be happy because the hourglass figure is supposed to be the healthiest and also the prettiest Wink
As long as you are not overweight, you’re very fine, because the fat on your thighs can't hurt your heart, while on the stomach it's not good at all.

Quote:
Men are just as vain. Check out all the face products they can get. Creams, aftershave, spot things (if they weren't vain they wouldn't care that they had acne on their face).
It isn't unmanly to be like that. Coz if you are talking about rough men, then you are also talking about the type that don't use deodrant and think their smelly manly scent is just so macho. Urgh.

All these creams are very unmanly and weird to me, but men don’t need to be dirty or without deodorant either... There should be a happy middle. I just couldn’t be with a guy who would be crazy of his body or owning more creams than I do. It’s just not attractive to me. My husband is very well dressed and always looks very good, but I don’t find him reading “how to exercize like an athlete” or “top 10 beauty creams” b’h! (and he doesn’t need me to iron his shirts, which is good because I can't iron anyway).

Quote:
yet the Torah makes it quite clear that women are interested in beautifying themselves and in acquiring clothing and jewelry (which is why simchas yom tov for them is clothing and jewelry), not men

as you said, society influences us and it's not the nature of man to be "into" his looks, and if a man is into it, then he's a product of secular society's influence

this is why, the more sheltered the man, talking about frum men here who are minimally exposed to the media, the less interested they are in their looks

I agree.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics