Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How long to let 2 month old sleep?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 4:02 am
Hi,
My 2 month old (prob 11 lbs. about) tends to sleep for really long stretches at a time.
During the day I try to wake him after 4 hours max, but at night I wonder how long is it okay for me to let him sleep?
Is 7-8 hours too much for such a young baby?
He takes a long time to settle in after eating so I really don't want to wake him if I don't have to, but is it safe for him to go so long? Thanks!

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 4:37 am
Ask your pediatrician. Most say at this age they still need to eat every 4 hours but a lot depends on your baby's weight. I had one (only one out of the crew so far!) who at 6 weeks slept through the night. The first time she did that I panicked and called doc to make sure it was ok. This baby happened to weigh a lot. His response was that at this age they really need to eat more often but since she is a bigger baby I shouldn't wake her to eat. He finisged off with..."never tell anyone your baby slept through the night if you want it to continue"! LOL

amother

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 5:22 am
My baby was sleeping from one week between 8-10 hours. When I aske dthe Dr he said as long as it is up to 14 hours shock you shouldn't be worried. Once my son was having weight issues I had to wake him up though. So I guess it is to do with weight.

imabima

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 8:31 am
Wow! I'm happy for you to be able to get some rest. Like the others said, unless there are weight issues, just let him sleep! He'll let you know when he's hungry. Smile

sky

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 9:17 am
I think at night it is okay as long as there are no wieght/feeding issues.
[Don't tell anyone - I found that as soon as I did it ended. My babies that did sleep through the night from the beginning typically stopped at around 3 months and never relearnt so enjoy it]

MommytoB

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 9:17 am
Day time I tend to wake up my little ones after 3 hours -- so they nurse enough during the day and too make sure they are on a nap and bedtime schedule. But at night (except for a real newborn), I do not wake them! My third slept through the night (by that I mean 12 hours) from months 2-4 (starting at 8 weeks). Then from months 4 - 12 woke up to nurse once a night.

My first was sleeping 8 hours at 6 weeks.

Sounds perfectly normal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics