Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Lighting candles when going out for dinner

ariellabella

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 12:59 pm
What do you do when you need to light candles at home and leave a few minutes later? I've lit in the kitchen sink before, but that's always a problem the next day when I'm trying to prepare lunch and wash up.

A friend's house burned down a couple years ago when they were out for Shabbos dinner (just a few doors down), so I'm terrified of leaving burning candles unattended (even tealights).

Suggestions?

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 1:31 pm
Hmmm, I was going to suggest the sink as well. Maybe for the times you're going away, use smaller candle holders so you can have a little more room for using your sink later.

Lani22

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 2:21 pm
maybe light and say the bracha and have your husband move them to the bath tub?

superjew

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 2:36 pm
Have faith! Hashem watches over us & protects us. He is one who controls it all. If c'v a fire needs to happen it'll happen even if the candles are in the tub/sink or anywhere else.

If you want to feel like you did your hashtadles maybe put silver foil under the candles (even a foot all around)

Good Luck!

Happy18

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 4:01 pm
Try using tea lights in the sink, not your candlesticks.

If your still nervous, tea lights can float in a bowl of water, maybe that will make you less nervous.

sequoia

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 4:05 pm
Electric candles.

I'm not going to leave my apartment with an open flame burning. That's stupid.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 4:12 pm
my mom used to light tea lights in a bowl of water. leave it on a part of the counter where its not really in the way.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 1:07 pm
Go to where you are going to eat before Shabbos and light there. It's preferable halachically to light candles where you are eating anyway.

sarah86

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 2:28 pm
Put a tray covered in foil on your stove top. and light tea lights.

grace413

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 2:34 pm
superjew wrote:
Have faith! Hashem watches over us & protects us. He is one who controls it all. If c'v a fire needs to happen it'll happen even if the candles are in the tub/sink or anywhere else.

If you want to feel like you did your hashtadles maybe put silver foil under the candles (even a foot all around)

Good Luck!

Having faith does not exempt us from looking both ways before we cross the street or taking other basic safety precautions. Hashem gave us brains for a reason.

mummy-bh

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 2:42 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Go to where you are going to eat before Shabbos and light there. It's preferable halachically to light candles where you are eating anyway.
actually, this is not how I learned. I learned that whilst it's preferable to eat (particularly make kiddush) where you light, if you must choose between lighting where eating / sleeping, the best thing is to light where you are sleeping. If there is a possibility the flames may be out when you return home, you should sit by the candles for a period of time (half an hour, I think?) before leaving the house.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 4:02 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
actually, this is not how I learned. I learned that whilst it's preferable to eat (particularly make kiddush) where you light, if you must choose between lighting where eating / sleeping, the best thing is to light where you are sleeping. If there is a possibility the flames may be out when you return home, you should sit by the candles for a period of time (half an hour, I think?) before leaving the house.

OK, I guess there are different opinions. Smile

You have to sit by the candles until you benefit from them when it's already dark (if they will possibly be out by the time you get home).

Some of the solutions here sound so odd halachically that I wonder if you can even make a bracha. Lighting in the sink?? And then going straight out? The candles are supposed to be enjoyed, not left to burn at home while you sit chatting at your friends.

And those who never leave the house with candles alight? You don't go to Kol Nidrei (or didn't before you had little children?) or to shul on Simchas Torah night? Leaving lit candles on a metal tray not near hanging curtains blowin' in the wind or something is hardly a fire hazard.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 7:15 pm
Use tea lights. Nothing will happen if the tea lights are on a tray on your dining room table. If you're very scared, put them on the kitchen counter. It's not bekovod to light Shabbos candles in the sink and certainly not in the tub.

superjew

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 7:23 pm
grace413 wrote:
superjew wrote:

Good Luck!

Having faith does not exempt us from looking both ways before we cross the street or taking other basic safety precautions. Hashem gave us brains for a reason.

You're 100% right, see the bold words. I guess to each his own in what they feel is their hashtadles.

MrsMortgage

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 8:12 pm
As your rav. I was told incandesant bulbs are sufficient in this circumstance
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics