Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Questions about New York

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 5:04 pm
IY"H I will be going to New York at the beginning of August, I have a few questions that I was hoping someone can help me with:

- Any recommendations for a decent, inexpensive hotel in Manhattan?

- I'm sort of under the impression that the whole of the city empties out in the summer. Is this the case? I have a couple of spare days that I would like to spend shopping in Crown Heights and Boro Park, will I get to all the shops I need only to find that they're all shuttered up?!

- Best time of day to go to the Ohel? My husband likes to go first thing in the morning, for various reasons suggested by his mashpia, but what do YOU LADIES all suggest that I do (I.e. when is it least busy there, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your help Smile

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 5:33 pm
IIRC, Manhattan is packed w/ tourists in the summer.

slimnglam

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 5:40 pm
Bp might be empty because people go up to the country but the stores are def. open (except maybe on Friday because they go up to the country).
G'Luck!

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 5:43 pm
DefyGravity - Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I meant the areas of BP and CH, not the city in general. We will only be there for 3 days/2 nights, and whilst I have no real interest in sightseeing (I have been to NY before), my ideal vacation consists of shop-til-u-drop in the Jewish neighbourhoods.

Mommy912

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 6:15 pm
You said the beginning of August: if it is in the 9 days many Jewish clothing stores will be closed.

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 6:31 pm
Quote:
I'm sort of under the impression that the whole of the city empties out in the summer. Is this the case? I have a couple of spare days that I would like to spend shopping in Crown Heights and Boro Park, will I get to all the shops I need only to find that they're all shuttered up?!

many people leave CH but many dont.
stores usually open about 10 or 11 AM and close about 7-8, some close later on thursdays. on sundays many stores arent open in the summer.

Quote:
Best time of day to go to the Ohel? My husband likes to go first thing in the morning, for various reasons suggested by his mashpia, but what do YOU LADIES all suggest that I do (I.e. when is it least busy there, etc)?

The Ohel isn't jampacked like it is when tons of people come to NY. it's never empty, but its fine to go pretty much any time of the day. it will probably be a bit more full when the Ohel bus goes which is right after the main minyan for Shacharis, so you might want to go earlier or later than that.

soonamommy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 7:28 pm
BP and Flatbush are pretty quiet from late June to late August. As was said, the stores are still open (although maybe not clothing stores during the nine days) during the week, but not necessarily on Sundays and Fridays. I don't think a cheap hotel in Manhattan exists, but you never know!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries