Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Storage Containers

miki007

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 2:56 pm
Hey
We have rubbermaid storage containers which we use for extra soup, salads etc... they don't wash well and look greasy now so I want to get fresh ones, and recommendations for storage containers- freezer proof, that wash well?
thanks

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:01 pm
My 25 year or older containers wash great in the dishwasher. Add some vinegar if they're greasy.

miki007

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:05 pm
What brand are they?
Thanx for the vinegar tip shall try it but no dishwasher yet...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:12 pm
If you don't have a dishwasher, would a friend with one let you run a plastics load? It makes a huge difference; I also never liked the way mine looked with just handwashing - dh even got comments on them at work. bad comments.

Last edited by chocolate moose on Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Happy18

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:12 pm
Do they have to be plastic? Because glass pyrex containers last forever.

miki007

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:41 pm
Nope not particular about plastic!
Does Pyrex freeze?

good wifey

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 5:08 pm
I don't think glass freezes well. But maybe I'm wrong. Wonder if anyone already tried it.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 5:14 pm
I haven't found containers that really don't smell after a while. My solution is to use ziploc bags for. Freezing as often as possible. I freeze chicken soup in them and there's the added bonus of space. The containers I only use for food that will stay in the container once defrosted, such as dessert etc... I buy the disposable (sort of) containers they sell in the local grocery and use them until they start smelling or get too greasy. Having a dishwasher definitely helps.

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 9:59 pm
Tupperware. Washes well, even with no dishwasher. Those of mine with "glossy" finishes are starting to dull after 10 years or so, but they're not greasy. They shouldn't smell (and if they do, crumple up some newspaper and throw it in the freezer for 24 hours). They're definitely more expensive but IMO worth it in the long run.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 7:12 am
When you get a dishwasher, you will see the difference, even if you think your stuff is clean.

The first year we kashered the dishwasher for Pesach, the first thing I did when we upacked all the boxes was wash everything. It made SUCH a difference !

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:38 am
I use snapware (you can get it at Costco) and have been very happy. I wash by hand, but my mommy trained me to be a meticulous washer.

They freeze well, they don't leak. I had one break in the two years I have been using them and I emailed to complain and they sent me a new, even nicer container.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics