Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Child psychiatrist in chicago

Coke Slurpee

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:46 pm
My ten year old son is extremely anxious. I am looking for a good child psychiatrist to help us with his issues. If anyone knows of a good psychiatrist I would really appreciate.

TIA

Fox

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 12:42 pm
You don't mention what specifically you're looking for, but I have two recommendations:

1. For meds, I strongly recommend Dr. Mark Shukhman. He is absolutely brilliant at figuring out what will work at what dosage, etc. He does not do "talk therapy;" however, he will work with your therapist to find the right combination of drugs and therapy.

2. For a therapist (LCSW, DPsy, etc.), call Rochel Ebel at home (she's in Acheinu). Although she works in a hospice setting herself, she is a brilliant "shadchan" at matching people to therapists.

sruth1

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 6:54 pm
Do you specificaly need a psyciatrist because you feel your child needs meds, or would a psychologist work.
Two psychologists that I know of are,
Dr. Rikki Mermalstein (Krakowski) I don't have her work number but I am sure there is a way to get it.
Dr. Jeannie R. Aschkenasy She has an office in skokie but you can get her number Rush University Hospital.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 11:51 pm
I don't have that much experiance with anxiety so I don't know if the best way to treat his anxiety is with medication or if a psychologist might work. Right now he is seeing a title one social worker who believes that he needs meds.

The truth is he is getting older and his anxiety is impacting him negatively in alot of areas in his life. And probably really needs meds.

Fox can you get me the number to Dr. Mark Shukhman? Do you know how much he charges or if he takes medicaid?

Thanx

Fox

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:30 am
Coke Slurpee wrote:
Fox can you get me the number to Dr. Mark Shukhman? Do you know how much he charges or if he takes medicaid?

Thanx

His number is 847-563-4488, and his office is at 4711 Golf Road -- one of those office buildings next to the Northshore Center for the Performing Arts.

He doesn't take Medicaid to my knowledge, but he charges $200 for the initial consultation and $100 for follow-up visits. This is significantly less than most psychiatrists around here charge -- I've been quoted fees for initial consultations ranging from $350 to $700 with follow-up visits from $140 to $250. His secretary's name is Luba, and she is very nice. You can even schedule follow-up appointments online.

Given what you've described, Dr. Shukhman will probably recommend therapy as well, so definitely give Rochel a call. You don't even have to identify yourself -- she's not on imamother, but she knows all about it, so you can just tell her that you're "Coke Slurpee" from imamother and that Fox sent you, and she'll know the drill!

I also have another idea for therapy: Avraham Glieberman (847-682-3210). He's a young therapist who works with several schools, and I've had great experiences with him. I think he's particularly effective because he knows exactly what our boys go through in the school system, and his demeanor is like that of an older brother or uncle. He has a high degree of credibility with his patients -- he's both young enough to effectively empathize and old enough to be seen as knowledgeable and "cool." FYI, if your son qualifies for Title I assistance, this could pay for the therapy.

Feel free to PM me for more details or ideas.

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:27 pm
Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)