Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"I know for a fact"

Chavelamomela

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 11:01 pm
There was a thread (now closed) where the OP wrote an impassioned personal story, and she described that she "knows for a fact" why something happened.

Sometimes, there are some people who instead of saying "My opinion on the topic is"...they say "I know for a fact that..."

they cannot differentia between fact and opinion.

And that's where the problems arise. Those who rely on facts don't get confused by opinion. But those who equate opinion with fact...things get a bit murky.

Good luck trying to figure out the difference.

Critical thinking is an important skill, that, unfortunately, not everyone learns.

nicole81

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 11:19 pm
I know someone who often starts sentences with "it's a known fact that..." Basically anything that comes out of this person's mouth can be discounted.

I think there are a couple of issues at play. Obviously, as you stated, people don't differentiate between fact and opinion (is this a lack of critical thinking skills, or simply a lack of knowlege? I don't know.)

In addition, people do not fully understand the difference between correlation and causation. Which is definitely a critical thinking issue. And related to this, some people expect that specific cases always apply to the general public-- or conversely, they apply swooping generalizations to specific cases.

The two people in my life that constantly throw around "facts" usually do so to fulfill their need for self-affirmation. However, education and *thinking* would do so just as well, without making them sound so ignorant.

Disclaimer: I know, for a fact, that the above is true. 100%. Even statistics agree.

Chavelamomela

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 11:24 pm
Also, if you disagree with their "facts" (which are, in fact, their opinions, not scientifically-based truths), you are considered "attacking" - b/c its mean to disagree with opinions, since they are "facts."

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 12:26 am
We can't know anything for a fact when it comes to complex systems with many variables (societies, the human body). There are too many factors at play, all interacting with each other. Nassim Taleb writes about this problem very eloquently.

We can only say "I know for a fact" about simple systems where is either no process or a simple process with a direct cause-effect correlation.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:25 am
In the case you are referring to she may in fact know for a fact that A caused B. The real problem is that she couldn't make it personal from the get go and assumed knowledge that didn't exist, that A will cause B.

Plus you are correct that many people do have a hard time differentiating between something that is provable and thus factual, and something which is not provable, but based on (hopefully) supportive evidence.

freidasima

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:32 am
I know for a fact that some of the people posting on this site come over as sounding quite nuts. Whether they really are in person? Who knows.

Just my professional opinion.

How's that?

merelyme

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:57 am
I know for a fact that some people say, "My mind is made up. Don't bother me with facts."

At least, in my opinion, they act that way.

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 4:17 am
the only thing I know for a fact is that 1 +1 = 2, and even that I am not always so sure on. Okay, I know one thing for a fact...(ooh, ooh, ooh--hand waving in the air.)

TORAH IS EMES. How about that for a fact?

WriterMom

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 7:43 am
freidasima wrote:
I know for a fact that some of the people posting on this site come over as sounding quite nuts. Whether they really are in person? Who knows.

I for one have never claimed not to be nuts.
LOL

chavs

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 8:09 am
I know for a fact, that imamother makes me wanna bash my head against a wall more often then not:-)

Tamiri

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 8:15 am
Health is a Virture wrote:
the only thing I know for a fact is that 1 +1 = 2, and even that I am not always so sure on. Okay, I know one thing for a fact...(ooh, ooh, ooh--hand waving in the air.)

Not good. There is no proof. It's your belief.

shanie5

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 4:47 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Health is a Virture wrote:

Not good. There is no proof. It's your belief.

And thats a fact!!

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 7:40 pm
Yes, it irks me greatly when people write "I know for a fact" when what they surely mean is "I have reason to suspect" or maybe even "There is strong evidence to believe." I feel bad for the poor people whose minds are so small that they can't fathom any possibility other than their own perception of a situation, and I hope that the people reading their posts have enough mind to not accept every "fact."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics