Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Easy Moroccan or Yeminite dishes??

EMmom

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 7:57 am
I love Sephardi food and even though I am ashkenaz my family is Israeli and my mom's closest friends are Moroccan and Yeminite so we grew up on a lot of sephardi food. The problem is I am very busy mom and all the food my mom that I really loved makes takes fooorever to cook (tons of frying then baking, doughs to make....).

Does anyone have simpler recipes, particularly main dishes, that still have the very earthy and rich flavors? I know I'm not being very specific at all because I am open to any ideas

Tamiri

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 8:00 am
Yemenites are not foodies. What they eat is soup and doughs, traditionally. Authentic Moroccan food takes time. Bummer.

eisheschayil

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 8:55 am
Adding hawaij(Yemenite spice mix) will make anything taste yemenite. I rub it into chicken steaks with a bit of olive oil, paprika, parsely and lemon juice and gril. Served with rice or instant couscous and Israeli salad it makes a delicious, easy meal.

Another favourite at my house is a soup consisting of chunks of potato, sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, zucchinni. onion, a can of chickpeas, boiled and seasoned with paprika,parsley, tumeric, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, hot pepper and a bayleaf, served over instant couscous. Quick and delicious but make sure it is not too watery. You can also add chicken pieces and meatballs flavoured with the above spices for a meaty version. For that matter you could add any type of meat suitable for stove top cooking.

EMmom

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 12:18 pm
Thanks Eshes- I love hawaij and the stew idea sounds like a less labor intensive (and less oil based!) version of my mom's yeminite soup I hope to try it soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics