Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO interesting brown rice recipe

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 5:12 pm
I usually make rice to go with a main dish, maybe with a gravy or sauce. Tonight I want to serve rice as a stand-alone dish. I don't have any fresh veggies handy because I haven't gotten to the grocery recently..

Fire away Smile

(On a related note, I remember someone once gave me a recipe for something I ate by her house, she called it "Persian rice," it was kind of orangey colored with potatoes in it... a little oily but whatever... anyone know what I'm talking about? But I'm mainly looking for something different at the moment)

granolamom

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 9:27 pm
no fresh veggies makes it challenging.....do you have onions?
I have a rice & lentils recipe but you need green(or brown) lentils, onions, saffron and raisins

or black eyed peas with onions, chopped tomatoes (can be canned), salt and cayenne pepper over rice is good too.

or for a light meal, rice in milk (or milk substitute) with vanilla, raisins, cinnamon. cook rice, then simmer in way more milk than you think you need, monitor and add milk or water as needed until the rice is creamy. this is good cold too, btw.

we eat rice pretty often, but usually with lots of fresh veggies

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 9:41 pm
they sell some really interesting mixes of rice. I forgot the brand, but it comes in bags, and they have the most exotic looking rices- black long rice, brown rice, - a lot of different colors- very exotic looking- and a great nutty flavor. Didn't have to do much to it.

I know that it doesn't help if you already have plain old brown rice, but when you go shopping- be on the lookout for the exotic stuff to spice up the rice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes