Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cut my spending
Previous  1  2

chen

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 10:49 am
[quote="amother We never had melons or pinapple (they were considered too expensive,) .[/quote]

Me, too! Ditto cherries, blueberries, strawberries and olives. I still think of them as luxuries (that's me at the buffet table at your simchoh, going back for seconds of honeydew, pineapple and strawberries.)

withhumor

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 10:15 pm
What to do when dh claims you love to shop’ when all you’re doing is buying a lot of those diapers because they’re on sale and it’s real good deal! This happens all the time and for the sake of shalom bayis, I’m busy buying at the local grocery only whatever I need and of course their prices are skyrocketing !

HatLady

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 10:52 pm
I find that I spend extra money when I don't plan my meals ahead. If I'm really on the ball, I can menu plan for the week and go shopping once (saving on gas, etc.). If I limit the number of times I go grocery shopping, I buy less impulse purchases. Also, I find that by making my own challos, desserts, and shmears (instead of buying them) I save a lot each week. I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I try to make as much snacks, pizza crusts, etc. from scratch as possible. (An added bonus: If you can get your kids involved in cooking/baking/preparing anything you make, I find they are much more likely to try eating it. But that's another thread...)

Also to save $, I buy my produce at the farmer's market or Sam's Club. Red peppers and avocado are especially cheaper!

And, if you drive a car, put in the lowest grade gas that is recommended for your car. Most cars are designed to take 87 octane. Some people think they are treating their car well by using a premium gas, like 93 octane. If your car isn't designed for it, it's not benefiting from the higher octane. Keeping your tires inflated to the proper level will also save on gas. (I could go on and on about car maintenance and fuel economy...)

Around the house... Do you have storm windows? Keep them closed in the summer and winter. Is you attic well insulated (if you live in a house)? Can you put in fluorescent lightbulbs for those that you use most often? Do you have your lights on timers for Shabbos? Do you have a programmable thermostat and set it to go 1-2 degrees higher in summer when you're sleeping/out of the house during the day?

I can go on and on. Please let me know if you want me to.

Kol tuv,
The HatLady

Crayon210

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:05 am
Please!!

Sparkle

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:53 am
Wow HatLady, I am really impressed. I'd love to hear more...

HatLady

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:48 pm
Okay, here's some more. Regarding banking: Re-order checks in advance by an independent company like Checks Unlimited or Checks in the Mail, for about 1/2 of what the bank charges. Also, I perfer to bank with a credit union (as opposed to a regular bank), because the interest rates you earn are generally higher and service fees are lower. Keep any spare money that might be needed soon in a money market account, like ING, to earn around 5% interest, as opposed to <1% at a bank.

Before buying anything online, do a google search on "coupon code" + the name of the store to find out if there are any additional deals out there. I can often get free shipping or 5-10% off with a coupon code, that I didn't even know existed until I was ready to checkout. I love to get free shipping! You can also go to one of the price comparison website to check if you're actually getting the lowest price on an item.

For big ticket items, I love Craig's List! You may have to "kiss a lot of frogs" until you finally get exactly what you want, but it can be well worth it. We bought a used (in like new condition) dining room set for a fraction of what it would cost new and no sales tax. You just need patience. I listed my first item for sale in Craig's List this week. I'll report back on how successful it was or wasn't. I've also heard ebay is a great way to sell outgrown or unused items to make extra $. My sister likes to shop at yard sales, but I don't like to window shop through other people's stuff while they're standing right there. But, there are great deals to be found at yard sales, like kids clothes, toys, tools, etc.

My system for getting non-perishable household items (e.g. detergents, toothpaste, shampoo, ziploc bags, etc.) is I'll look through the Sunday ads and coupons. We don't get the paper, but my parents give me theirs when they're done with it. (And, grandma gives me her coupons too.) I make mini-shopping lists on the outside of an envelope for items that we use that are on sale (at a good price) at different stores. And, I'll put in the correponding coupon(s) for each item, if I have. The envelope goes into my purse. Then, during the week, if I happen to be passing by any of the stores on my list, I'll pop in and buy just what's on my list. And, if I dont make it to the store, well that's okay too, b/c we didn't ugently need it anyway. Warning: You have to make sure that it's really a better deal than just buying the item at Sam's or Costco.

I read Consumer's Report to find out which generic brands are as good as (or better than) the name brands, like Cascade. That way, I may decide that it's easier to buy the generic at Costco or Sam's than looking for a sale, etc. The library has Consumer's Report. I also look up potential purchases there before buying to read the reviews or check out epinions.com.

And, I agree with a previous poster about the huge saving by going to a dental hygienist college clinic. Before we had insurance, our whole family used to go twice a year to the clinic for teeth cleaning. X-rays are so cheap and you also get a free toothbrush and sample toothpastes too. I once had a cavity and the clinc doesn't fill cavities, but they gave me a copy of my x-rays (for free) so I could bring it to my dentist. When I went to my dentist to have the cavity filled, they didn't need to take an x-ray b/c I had one in hand, saving me $.

Some of the local museums here have free admission day the first Tuesday of the month. Call places first that you are thinking of going to and ask them if they offer any discounts.

If you're making a dish that's a real potchke, try to make two at the same time. For example, when I make lasagne, I make two and freeze one for later. If I'm ever stuck out and about and don't have time to make dinner, instead of buying take-out, I can just pop a frozen meal in the oven to reheat. I find that having a backup plan for meals has really eliminated my going out to eat/buying take-out. Now, it's a real treat when we go out, b/c we don't do it often at all.

If you use a LOT of a certain product, find out if buying it by the case will get you a 10% discount. Many stores do that as routine.

Instead of doing w/o, find ways of making things stretch. For example, lox that you chop up and mix with cream cheese (for those of you who will eat dairy and fish), will go a lot further than just putting out the lox and cream cheese separately on a platter. And for Shabbos lunch, I buy less than 1 lb. of asst. deli and make enough deli wraps that can feed a small army. Or, instead of serving shnitzel, why not make less chicken and serve it over a salad, stretching it further.

I've given you some food for thought.

Kol tuv,
The HatLady
Wink

momofgirls

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 3:29 pm
Great post hatlady, you have some great ideas any more. LOL

gali

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 6:30 pm
HatLady, great tips!
I always do a google search for coupon codes or promotion codes when buying things online.
Just yesterday, I ordered some makeup from sephora.com and I did a search in google for promotion code sephora, and I got a code that got me a freebie along with my purchase. You can do this for other sites too, like macys.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics