Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you get involved, or walk on?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 30 2006, 11:49 pm
This interesting undercover piece shows just how uninvolved people are willing to be these days.

What would you do?

sarahd

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 1:11 am
We are all horrified, all the women here at my office. How awful. Reminds me of the Kitty Genovese story. Things haven't changed much, it seems.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 2:27 am
I can't believe no one helped. I do think it might have had something to do with it being done in NY. Once when I was in NY and pregnant I got very sick right outside the 42nd st subway station and people just walked by me. I had to get a cab myself to go to the hospital. Crying That would never happen here in Israel. If anything, Israelis get too involved.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 5:45 am
I think that there are some cities or states that have laws saying that if you don't get involved in stopping something you can be arrested. Remember the final episode of Seinfeld?

happy2beme

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 6:02 am
that video is heartwrenching

although, I had some satisfaction when I watched those 2 guys at the end running after the child & the 'kidnapper'

willow

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 6:29 am
I seem to be the only one not being able to access the link. Can anyone help me?

roza

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 6:39 am
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/defau.....25653

willow

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 6:48 am
Thank you Very Happy

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 10:50 am
See I wouldv'e probably called 911 and yes I would've payed attention or tryed to hear what she was saying ! Since who knows if this guy had a gun Confused Better be safe then sorry Confused

supermom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 10:55 am
RivkaBatya wrote:
That would never happen here in Israel. If anything, Israelis get too involved.

I couldn't stop laughing how true!!! LOL

amother

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 1:31 pm
Years ago (about 15) my father, a teacher of young teenage boys, was on his way home from school and saw one of his talmidim being started on by a bunch of yoks. He intervened and carried on his way. They ran off to get their older brothers who set on my father a little way up the street and began beating him up.
This was in a very frum area and as usual, when there's a bit of excitement, a crowd of people started forming. But they all stood watching and no one came forward to help til s/one driving past saw, and jumped out of his car to help.
By that time my father's face was pretty much black and blue and he needed stiches too.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 1:57 pm
Quote:
But they all stood watching and no one came forward to help til s/one driving past saw, and jumped out of his car to help.

Exploding anger

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 11:17 am
interesting thread, thanks kmelion Smile

Note that one of those who actually came to save her said he first thought she was being disobedient. That's what I may have thought too and what many of the people who walked by, thought!

He said, when he heard her say, "he's not my daddy" he was alerted to trouble. I have to say that as many times as they replayed the scenario, I didn't hear that!

So what would I do? I probably would think she's acting up and the parent is having a hard time and I wouldn't look, so as not to stare at an embarrassing scene. I would walk on.

Question is, what if I heard her say, "this is not my daddy." I hope I would do something then!

m&m

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 3:49 pm
I heard her clearly say hes not my daddy. This video is shocking!
I am glad I am moving out of NY to a much smaller town...!

ny21

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 4:38 pm
sara D the story about kitty , did that happen in Queens N>Y>
maybe flushing?

healthymama

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:40 pm
wow, what an important segment. Thanks

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 11:24 pm
When we where living in NY someone tried to mug me in broad daylight on the corner of 181 and broadway. There was a frum man standing 3 feet away and he did nothing!! Luckily I was able to fight the guy off and when he ran away I told the guy that he should think about how he would feel if I had been his wife, sister or daughter. Having only ever lived in California, Ohio, and Israel I was not used to this attitude of "keep your distance."

Crayon210

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 11:35 pm
RivkaBatya wrote:
I told the guy that he should think about how he would feel if I had been his wife, sister or daughter.

Good for you!

sarahd

Post Wed, Aug 02 2006, 1:29 am
momoftwins wrote:
sara D the story about kitty , did that happen in Queens N>Y>
maybe flushing?

It happened in Kew Gardens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics