Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Stocks

greatfulmom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 4:12 pm
did anyone here ever invest in stocks? any details?

ny21

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 4:22 pm
I have--

amother

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 10:38 am
okay. Did u have a good experience, or not? Did u gain, lose, or none?

My husband just invested $5,000 and I'm nervous about it.... Any advice?

preggymama

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 10:51 am
My husband is very involved in the stock market. He has thank Gd done pretty well - but you always lose some and gain some. Dont get involved unless 1)you know what you are doing 2) you are prepared to lose the money you invested - realize you are taking a risk!
What did you invest in?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 11:22 am
sure. at my age, I've experienced many things!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 11:25 am
greatfulmom wrote:

My husband does. But he chooses stuff that goes up slowly, so there are less risks. LOL

preggymama

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 1:19 pm
Ruchel wrote:
greatfulmom wrote:

My husband does. But he chooses stuff that goes up slowly, so there are less risks. LOL

Right, but you only make the "big money" when you take "big risks." There are many ways you can invest "conservatively" without big risks and have a steady, almost guaranteed gain -but it will be a small percent. Nobody triples their money in a month with mutual funds etc.

shayna82

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 1:20 pm
I have stocks and my husband has a whole bunch. He is very into it.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 1:32 pm
What's the normal percent u would pay a broker?

We invested $10,000, and the broker asked for 10%, which is $1000.

do u think we overpaid?

preggymama

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
What's the normal percent u would pay a broker?

do u think we overpaid?

I don't want to make you feel bad, but that sounds like an awful lot... I think the normal range is 3% -5%.

What was the deal you made with him? The 3-5% range I estimated is off every transaction - meaning every time he puts a buy or a sell in for you, he takes that percent.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 1:55 pm
My hubby is dealing with the broker, but he is totally naive when it comes to stocks. He says the broker asked for 10% of what we're investing.

Do u mean to tell me, we're still gonna have to give some more once we earn money?

Sparkle

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 1:59 pm
I am a retirement planner (like a financial planner). 10% seems pretty high...

I am all for stocks as long as it is not with money that is set aside for retirement. Stocks are good for people with no responsibility (AKA people with no spouse and kids) or for people with some extra cash - so it won't be too horrific if they lose.

Otherwise there are alot of other plans that still give a great RR (rate of return) and you are not at risk of losing everything.

This is just my opinion. I know of many other brokers and financial planners that "hold" much more of the market. Usually they are men Very Happy

rosehill

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 2:03 pm
We stick with mutual funds. That way, there is a professional manager picking the stocks, and you sell basically when you need the money. If you stay with the big houses like Fidelity, Vanguard, or TRowePrice, you can pick "no-load" funds, which have low low fees.
There are hundreds of funds to choose from, so you can find one that fits your style, from very aggressive, to more conservative, domestic, international, specific sectors (healthcare/technology), etc.

preggymama

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 2:05 pm
Quote:
I am all for stocks as long as it is not with money that is set aside for retirement.

Exactly - you have to be prepared to lose it all - the same way a stock can go up, a stock can go down!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 5:35 am
preggymama wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
greatfulmom wrote:

Right, but you only make the "big money" when you take "big risks." There are many ways you can invest "conservatively" without big risks and have a steady, almost guaranteed gain -but it will be a small percent. Nobody triples their money in a month with mutual funds etc.

Yup. It is always small, or takes YEARS.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 6:01 am
My fil encouraged us to invest in the stock market when we were first married. Dh had previously held stocks due to an investment made years ago by his grandfather. We reinvested $20,000 and lost $20,000. oops! I wish we had never done it, but it was very early in our marriage and I was not as outspoken as I am now. We should have found a more stable investment plan. Needless to say, we'd never do it again. But, it's all up to HaShem regardless! My advice...don't do it! Or if you must, pick a small amount and see how it goes!

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 8:17 pm
Quote:

do u think we overpaid?

OMG! you got ripped off! thats extremely high!
forget the brokers, use scottrade.com. they have great service, and it costs $7 per trade. you can watch the stocks from your computer, and they give you tons of info to research your stocks.

I dont think its worth it to invest small amounts, its better to go to a mutual fund. get one with low or no fees, like Vanguard or Fidelity like rosehill mentioned.

if you want to do your own stocks on scottrade or another online broker, pick 5 stocks and make sure each one is in a different category of business. you need to be diversified so that they dont all go down at once.

See if Jim Cramer is on your local radio station. he is great for beginners, and experts too. his website is www.thestreet.com.

HatLady

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 9:00 pm
I'm from the same school as Rosehill and GR. Although we have some stocks, the bulk of our savings and retirement $ is in no-load mutual funds. I like the S & P 500 Index fund by Vanguard. B/C we piggybacked my FIL's portfolio, we have no annual/maintenance fees and we get free TurboTax online software and filing for state and federal through Vanguard. (Even if we did have to pay annual fees, I think it's only $10 / year.)

I feel that now that we have, k9h, a family, I am unable to track our stocks daily, so the stocks I haven't sold are more conservative, stable stocks. There was a time when I would keep a much closer eye on the economy/current events and choose my purchase/sales from that. When a strong company would be threatened with a law suit, etc. I used to buy the stock, if the price was right. Often, the stock would go up higher than what I paid for it in a few weeks/months, but not always.

I think that my mutual funds have averaged over 12% over the last 15 years. But, that's how I look at it now - long term investing. It's much easier doing our taxes and keeping track of things. Amother, if/when you and your husband do decide to sell your stocks, I would first ask your broker if he expects commission upon selling, too, since his buying commission seemed rather high. If he says, "yes, I do" then I'd ask for the certificates and transfer them to scottrade so you can sell through them for about $7 per trade online or about $27 per trade for a broker assisted trade.

There is a really good book published by Artscroll or Feldheim called The Meister Plan. It's written by a retired doctor and outlined how he saved and invested $, so he could retire at the age of about 50(?) and learn fulltime. It was a good, quick read.

Kol tuv,
The HatLady

queen

Post Wed, Aug 02 2006, 9:18 am
when investing (especially with mutual funds) put the money in... and forget about it. It will go up and down.... but hopefully after 10 years it would have done nicely. No need however to eat yourselves up watching the daily/weekly progress. BUT if you are going to invest- as others have said, know you CAN lose it, so make sure you're not investing all your bread and butter..... and try to get advice from someone you trust and has experience in the matter before going into such things on your own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics