Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Constant Fighting

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 8:58 pm
My kids (toddler to mid elementary age) are constanly fighting, needling each other, bickering, teasing.... I feel like my house has turned into a war zone and I just can't take it anymore. One child especially is very difficult and I feel has had such a bad influence on the others. When consequences, bribes and threats don't seem to work, what do you do? I just don't see how we can continue on like this anymore.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:13 pm
Siblings without Rivalry.

http://www.amazon.com/Siblings.....99006

junam

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 5:43 pm
I wish I had some good advice, but I am in the same boat. Its almost constant, with the oldest child being the most difficult, and demanding too. Siblings Without Rivalry is a good book though.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 6:20 pm
I'm sorry I can't help you, but would you mind if I print your post, enlarge it, laminate it, and post it on our wall to show my dh and remind him that it's not only our kids Smile ?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:54 pm
OP - Thanks for the replies; I guess there's no magical answer Smile

marina

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 8:52 pm
Reward idea: Each child starts the day with 3 scoops of icecream dessert that they can get before bedtime. Every instance they fight, each one loses a scoop. Every time they solve the problem peacefully, they each gain a scoop, up to a certain maximum of scoops. Scoops can be a small spoon, it doesn't have to be a real scoop.

The downside is that I always had to have ice cream in the house. The upside was that this worked for me for about 1-2 years, as long as I varied the flavor, etc.

Consequence idea: Each child gets a chart with six boxes. For every instance of rudeness or fighting ( in our house we also added not following directions and whining), they lose a box. First 3 boxes are free and then they lose dessert (4th box), screen time (5th box) and are grounded or have early bedtime (6th box).

I have been using this successfully since September.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics