Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Meatballs

Merrymom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:05 am
I'm making meatballs with the Pereg spice mixture. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the sauce to go with it? I usually make a sweet Ashkenazic meatball recipe but although my kids love it, it's just too sweet for me.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 3:32 pm
Mine is a bit brothy, based on tinned tomato, sauteed onion, a big heapful or two of apricot jam. A dash of cinnamon and allspice for spices. Use 1/2cup or so dry red wine instead of water as an option.

Another variation is similar, but skip apricot jam, use cumin instead of cinnamon and allspice.

Or I make non-tomato sauce by sauteeing finely chopped onions, and grated carrots till they're really soft (like 25min stirring), then add water and season with salt, pepper, a bit of cumin and parve soup powder.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:58 pm
The first options sounds really good, I'll have to try that and let you know how it comes out. Thanks!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 3:46 am
OK, I usually make meatballs from 2lbs ground meat (1/2 turkey and 1/2 lean beef). For sauce, I use 1 onion (finely chopped) and 1 tin of tomato. You may want to increase apricot jam (or add brown sugar) if you want it sweeter (my family doesn't). I sometimes put a bit of pasta sauce or ketchup if I have some extra on hand.

Merrymom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:45 am
Bissli I want to thank you for that meatball recipe. My house smelled HEAVENLY. At first I didn't add the sugar but it wasn't sweet enough for the kids so I did. This is my new favorite meatball recipe. Thank you!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 1:42 pm
Glad you enjoyed them. Beteavon! Smile

elmos

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 9:46 pm
mrs. bissli what kind of tinned tmato do you use crushed tomatos or tomato sauce??? do you add water and jelly and spices to that ?? or do you just add jelly and spices plase advise would love to try for dinner.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 4:39 am
I usually use the plain chopped/crushed tomato. chunky bits usually breakdown. Yes I add jam and spices pretty much from the beginning. Whether to add water (or wine for that matter) depends on how brothy you want the final products to look like as well as how deep your pot is and how many meatballs you have. You don't want to thin it too much, but to have enough sauce to cover most of the meatballs. I usually end up adding about 1cup liquid (1/2 cup red wine and 1/2 cup water). You may want to adjust the seasoning and add a bit of salt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics