Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How long can sushi rice with vinegar last refrigerated?

Raizle

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:37 pm
anyone ?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:40 pm
AFAIK it's not supposed to be refrigerated. You can leave it out overnight covered with a wet towel.

supermommy07

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:40 pm
I find it gets bad after about 2 days.... its really the nori and vegies that get soggy thou. u didnt mention what else is with the rice. like I will make it on friday for shabbos and by sunday its still ok but not great.

Raizle

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 11:28 pm
it's just sushi rice and sushi vinegar
the vinegar is a ready baught mixture of rice and sweet flavor of some sort

it hasn't been placed in any nori yet and no vegetables. it's just the cooked rice and vinegar.

I've had it sitting in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week and it smells and tastes ok to me but I don't know and don't want to make my family sick

chanahlady

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 12:36 am
As long as it smells fine, it should be fine. I would eat it if it smelled OK.

bubule

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 9:43 am
If it smells ok, why not taste a bit of it
When I prepare sushi on friday morning, I find them quiet dry by seuda shlishis time...

Raizle

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 4:44 pm
so I made sushi with it. It wasn't off but the texture was kind of grainy and too mushy and didn't really like it

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 4:30 pm
If refrigerated, about 3days or so. Though starch in rice changes consistency so you need to "freshen" it up by reheating in a microwave then let it cool back to room temperature. Also vinegar evaporates so you may need to top-up a bit.

Original sushi rice contained vinegar which was meant as a kind of preservative. It can be left out unrefrigerated for overnight, esp if room temp is not that hot. Though they will go bad longer than that as in regular rice.

MeadowsLane

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 10:06 am
I find that sushi rice tastes best the day of. When I refrigerate it overnight it tastes really dry and looses that sticky texture.

supermommy07

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 10:13 am
MeadowsLane wrote:
I find that sushi rice tastes best the day of. When I refrigerate it overnight it tastes really dry and looses that sticky texture.

mine does not get dry and its still sticky after being refrigerated overnight... maybe its the way that you are preparing it.

MeadowsLane

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 10:19 am
supermommy07 wrote:
MeadowsLane wrote:

mine does not get dry and its still sticky after being refrigerated overnight... maybe its the way that you are preparing it.

That could be. For me, in general, cooking rice is tricky (it shouldn't be cause I'm sephardi!)

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:38 am
MeadowsLane wrote:

That's why I microwave after adding a few sprinkle of water.
Just to make sure you're using short-grain or sushi rice, not persian or jasmin or basmati (which are less sticky).

Raizle

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 6:02 pm
I use sushi rice and I googled how to cook it properly and I do it pretty well, even if I say so myself Smile
(You are meant to soak it for half hour before cooking, btw, till it is opaque.)

I don't find it dry the day after cooking but if it's too cold then it isn't easy to manipulate so I usually leave it out of the fridge a bit to lose it's chill

I might try that microwave suggestion Mrs Bissly, thanks Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics