Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Persian Rice- Tadig...

wispalover

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 4:09 pm
Does someone please have an easy recipe??!??!?!??!?!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 4:17 pm
I have a persian cookbook and it doesn't mention that.

NotSoNewKallah

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 4:21 pm
CM, Tahdig is a staple of Persian cooking!

OP heres a quick "recipe"
Persian Rice with Tahdig (crust)

Basmati Rice
Oil

if you like: tumeric or dill and green peas

Make about 1/2 cup of rice per person

Cook the rice in 1:1 ratio of water. (1 cup of water=1cup water) until its mostly done. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pour a little oil in the bottom of the pot to cover the surface and slowly add the rice. Place a paper towel on top of the pot, under the cover. It helps absorb the water. Cook a few more minutes on a low flame until the bottom is crispy.

While you are making the crust, you can add tumeric for the yellow color OR dill and peas.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 4:28 pm
that might be, but it doesn't call any of the rices they list that.

NotSoNewKallah

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 4:32 pm
Tahdig is just the crust at the bottom. Its not the name for the actual rice dish. Polo is what most cooked rice is called.

happy

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 4:33 pm
http://www.kosherpersianfoodbl.....deos/

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 5:21 pm
A few tips:

1. It's better to use Persian rice (the package says so, esp if you're in Israel). Basmati rice is a close second but it cooks differently.

2. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT. You need to rinse starch out. You'll need to wash at least twice, maybe three times till the water comes out clear(ish). Then you need to soak the rice for 20-30minutes. Otherwise you risk getting the rice that's mushy outside and raw inside!!! Another golden rule--don't lift the lid while the rice is cooking. I use 1.1x-1.2x water to rice (before soaking, after wash) though this greatly depends on each pot (how tight/loose the lid is).

3. As for making the crust, the best method is to leave the pot on a plata for about up to 45minutes. Far less risk of burnt pot bottom than leaving on stovetop. Alternatively you can insert a blech on stovetop. My (imported from Israel) plata gets quite hot. It's actually perfect for making the crust.

4. Before you cook the rice, I usually sautee 1-2 choppped onion with salt and 2-3tbsps oil. (till it's transparent, not browned). Onion adds extra flavour and extra oil makes the crust formation easier.

Avrahamamma

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 9:24 pm
happy wrote:
http://www.kosherpersianfoodbl.....deos/

her instructions are excellent. the only thing I wouldn't do is turn off the fire/heat source. leave it on the heat source until ready to serve. otherwise you risk a soft tadig. to avoid burning just put it on looow heat once its done. also I like to salt the oil in the bottom. I add tumeric, saffron and a few pinches of cardamon.. yuuuum
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics