Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Getting rid of clothes
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 9:54 am
on mcdonald ave bet p and quentin or quentin and kings highway theres a yellow awning

shoy18

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:38 am
its still a thrift store? so weird I went a few weeks ago and the store was gone and they had just moved to a fancy new building on avenue P. Im happy its back thanks for the info

chen

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 1:10 pm
Speaking in defense of the gmachs that are "picky" about what they accept (and in response to the resentful tone I think I detect in some posts):

It is hard enough to be poor and to have to get one's clothing and other household furnishings from a gmach--the least one can do is leave gmach recipients with some shred of dignity. Just because they are poor doesn't mean they should be grateful for clothing that is stained, stretched out, outdated, needs repair, or "still has plenty of wear in it". On the contrary, davko because they are poor, they need to have clothing that is of good quality, stylish and in excellent condition so they don't look--and feel--like beggars. Offering them clothing in less than prime condition is an insult.

As my mother used to tell me back in the 70's when torn jeans were a hot fashion item (the more things change, the more they stay the same): "Caroline Kennedy can afford to wear torn jeans; everyone knows she's rich and is wearing them by choice. You can't afford to: people will think you're wearing them because you have NO choice."

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 2:08 pm
chen I would have to disagree. I am one of those people who love to get other peoples clothes. As long as it doesn't have a stain.

For years I bought all my clothes from a thrift store. I wish I still had time to shop at them. I find tjmaxx and marshells almost as much fun.

chen

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 2:38 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
chen I would have to disagree. I am one of those people who love to get other peoples clothes. As long as it doesn't have a stain.
How about if it's stretched out, worn out, or torn?

Pickle Lady wrote:
For years I bought all my clothes from a thrift store. I wish I still had time to shop at them.

Can I safely assume that for you it was a matter of choice? that makes a huge difference. I shop at thrift stores myself when I have occasion, and when I was younger some of my nicest things were hand-me-downs. But it was by choice! When you HAVE to go to a gmach, it's another story entirely.

I volunteer sorting clothes for a gmach near me, and, believe me, some of the things people bring in, I'm embarrassed for the givers and insulted on behalf of the gmach! (Not even talking about things people bring in that I wish I'd worn gloves and a mask--things that have obviously not been washed beforehand--ugh!) Well, that's why they have us sorting the clothes first and getting rid of things that are clearly unusable.

brooklyn

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 8:06 am
I can't speak for everyone but I take great pride in how I dress my children. I spend more on my kids clothing than I do on mine. I only buy quality clothes and much of it is designer stuff. The items that I give to a gmach is only items that are in tip top condition that I would still let my kids wear if they still fit into it. I do not donate shmatas. Before I donate any item I look it over and have even washed things if needed. Even with all that the gmach who came to pick up the items made me feel like a beggar. So like I said, I now donate to people who are more appreciative.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics