Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Experience with pink noise?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 1:25 pm
I posted earlier about a young adult child with severe sound sensitivity, only when trying to sleep (under Hyperacusis). Does anyone have any suggestions, experience, insight? THanks!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 1:30 pm
My four and a half year old is showing signs of sound sensitivity and I would love to learn more about it.

She puts her hands over her ears in many situations, such as when the bath is running, music time at preschool, and can't be in the same room with the vaccum.

She doesn't have any attention issues and can easily sit with a book, coloring project, or computer game for over an hour at a time.

TIA!

cm

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 2:34 pm
I don't know what pink noise it, but earplugs/muffs can be very useful for sound sensitivity.

Various (adult) family members use earplugs for sleeping.

My highly sound-sensitive dd was able to be completely independent with using earmuffs at an early age, which gave her some control over the situation. If she started to hear a sound that bothered her, she would run to the toolbox where I keep sound-blocking earmuffs (originally purchased for using the hedge trimmer LOL ). Trying to comfort her and so on would make her anxiety feed on itself and get worse instead of better.

There are child-sized earplugs available as well. We are having a problem now because I haven't seen any sized for older children and the adult-size plugs are still too big for dd. We would like to find something suitable for loud simcha parties.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)