Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Any OTs here? question about sensory issue!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:15 pm
my child is sensitive to one sound. he just can't stand it! if he has an open snap on a pair of pants/shirt it rattles as he puts the garment on or off. or if the zipper pull is shaken it makes the same metal-on-metal noise. its such a SOFT noise I barely notice it! but it really bothers him! he covers his ears!

is there a way to get therapy for just this? is there anything I can do at home to help him get used to the sound?

Thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:19 pm
How old is he?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:25 pm
he's four

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
he's four

He's young and you say its really only that one specific sound. Personally, I would wait and see if he grows out of it. Let him cover his ears if he wants. His issue shouldn't affect his life very much at this point. If you feel strongly that you would like to address it at this point, I can guide you further.

Speaking here as both an ot and a mommy Wink

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:34 pm
so that is the only sound that bothers him. Or if someone yells Wink.
It's interesting though because we have this mini keyboard that I think is so loud and he puts his ear right up against it! and that is REALLY loud! but that is the only other thing I can think of.

As far as other sensory issues, he doesn't like bright lights/sun and is a little sensitive to smells.

Is he still OK? Smile At what age would you say "he's not that young anymore, it's time for therapy"?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
so that is the only sound that bothers him. Or if someone yells Wink.
It's interesting though because we have this mini keyboard that I think is so loud and he puts his ear right up against it! and that is REALLY loud! but that is the only other thing I can think of.

As far as other sensory issues, he doesn't like bright lights/sun and is a little sensitive to smells.

Is he still OK? Smile At what age would you say "he's not that young anymore, it's time for therapy"?

At the point that it's affecting his life. For example, you send him to sleepaway camp and he covers his ears when other kids are zipping up their pants. That makes him look weird.

His other sensory "issues" sound very normal, we all have our preferences and his are pretty common.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:56 pm
thank you!!! Smile

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
thank you!!! Smile

Happy to help! (Hope I did Wink )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)