Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Rice came out sticky! Now what? Dont wana waste it...Help!!!

ima_dina084

Post Sat, Apr 03 2010, 11:49 pm
I tried using a rice cooker for the first time. and its one big sticky mush even though I followed the directions super carefully. and this is after checking the rice THREE TIMES for pesach!! I REALLY do not want it to go to waste. any fixes? what can I make with it? besides sushi...
tia

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 12:23 am
make rice balls (add oil and salt to rice. form into balls using a scooper and damp hands. sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.)

or fried rice balls (dredge rice balls in Pesach starch, then eggs, and then Pesach crumbs, and deep fry for a few minutes.)

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 12:30 am
You can mush the rice more and make rice pancakes.

You can make it into rice pudding with milk, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and perhaps raisins.

You can make it into tomato rice soup.

chasidisteh

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 12:38 am
I would use it to stuff vegetables, like cabbage peppers, or onions just add diced tomatoes, garlic, cilantro or parsley to the rice and stuff the veggies.. pour tomato sauce with salt, black pepper and lemon maybe even a few mint leaves. it will be delicious. Its customary when you make yaprach to have uncooked rice but if the veggies are basically cooked when u stuff it I dont see why it wont be delicious.

healthywoman

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 9:58 am
sometimes I get mushy rice too- its because there was too much water- I just eat it anyways Smile

Soph

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 11:28 am
u like sushiÇÇ if you do...
sprinkle the rice with a little rice vinagre (aftr pesaj)
taker a pyrex or cake mold (ull turn it over to make a sushi cake) and start layering rice, avocado slices, smoked salmon, creamcheese, anything u like, seaweed, adn rice...over and over finish with rice and turn on a serving platter....u have a sushi pie kinda thing...its sooooooo good and everyone loves the presentation in a shabbos table!! serve with soy sauce

dont worry rice doesnt spoil too fast so wait until after pesach to do it right

Soph

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 11:30 am
uuhh...soooorry didnt see the sushi thing...

how mushy is it??
u can make kinda mussaka but add the rice inbetween the layers of meat and mashed potatos...its sooo good plus its a whole meal in 1

shlomitsmum

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 11:44 am
we fry up onions and cut up sausages or hot dogs add red pepper and cubed carrot and peas if u have them then we stir fry then add rice and voila! its fried rice!!! very filling 1 pot meal!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 4:20 am
If it's really a big mush, I'd convert it into rice porridge (sweet or savory), or use it to thicken chicken soup (add a bit of turmeric and grated ginger).

Sometimes it gets easier to separate grains once it's frozen (if it's not all too sticky), in which case you can make fried rice.

I suspect you used the amount of water for regular stove-top rice recipe to be cooked in a pot (where water evaporates). You need to check instruction for the rice cooker.

Tiale

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 2:01 am
We make rice patties- shred carrots and onions- fry them a bit, then add to rice with eggs, matza meal and/or flour until it sticks together. Add cumin, parsley flakes, paprika, salt n pepper. U can eliminate the cumin and parsley if u want something more bland. Then fry on each side for a few minutes- minimal fry just till golden outside and cooked inside.

Btw I finally found a way to cook rice that works! You fry onion then add rice and cook a bit with no water- 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 c water. Ie. 3 cups rice to 4 1/2 c water. Add water and spices (salt pepper wtvr) then cover immediately on high heat with a glass cover so u can see what's happening inside. Once it boils, lower heat to low or almost low- DONT OPEN THE POT!!! UNTIL U R DONE!
Cook for about 35-45 minute until the top of the rice looks like they're separate (not all mushy)- I open my pot @ this point and check if it needs another 5-6 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics