Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hives

amother

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 7:58 pm
My ds who is 13.5 months old had a bad cold/cough a few weeks ago which became a double ear infection. He was given amoxcicillen (sp?) and it was supposed to be a 10 day course but the pharmacy only sent 8 and I was so busy that on day 8 I couldnt get him more, he seemed fully better, so I let it go. A week or so later he was feverish again and up all night so I took him to doc who said his ears were infected again.

He was put back on the same antibiotic. After he started the med he got a horrible cold and cough yet again. It never fully went away I think.

The antibiotic kicked in but he wasnt perfect - he was still running a low grade fever on occasion. On day 7 of the antibiotic he broke out in hives all over his body. The dr. said stop the antibiotic but since his ears werent clear, he gave him zithromax. He also said to do benadryl as needed. And that I should expect the hives to linger a few days....

I saw tonight that benadryl is not for children under 2? WHy would dr. tell me to give it though? I gave it to him 3 times already...

And how dangerous are hives....what should I know now? Has anyone ever had something like this? Was it the medicine?
Thanks.

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 9:38 pm
benadryl dosage like most meds goes according to weight. we gave my daughter an adjusted dosage when she had hives and was 1.

hives can be dangerous when they are on the throat and constrict the airways...

it might be the medication, might also be the stress his body is undergoing from the infection. one of the symptoms of strep is hives.

my first allergic reaction was under a similar scenario, when the body is stressed from an infection the immune system gets wonky

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 5:05 am
Thank you!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 10:22 am
It is day 3 now and they are worse....is that normal?

bnm

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
It is day 3 now and they are worse....is that normal?

call the dr. what benadryl are you using? I was allergic to the benadryl so till they figured it out it got worse.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 10:27 am
childrens benadryl....I havent given it every 6 hours, I didnt even give it yet today bc it makes him sleepy....he had it yesterday in morning and then before bed. and the day before once so just 3 times total.
but he is on zithromax now.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 10:29 am
some of them have gotten better but new ones have come out too (like the stomach got better but his legs worse...)

bnm

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
some of them have gotten better but new ones have come out too (like the stomach got better but his legs worse...)

thats the thing with hives, they don't stay put. just keep an eye on his neck. call the dr anyway and ask him when your supposed to get concerned. I know at a certain point they would give him steroids....

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 10:40 am
Call your son's pediatrician let them know that it is day 3 of the hives.

If he begins to have any of the following reactions, immediately call 9-1-1 (or whatever number Hatzola or EMS is in your area)
1) Facial Swelling (esp swelling around the lips, mouth, eyes)
2) Difficulty breathing
3) Vomiting
4) If he becomes lethargic
5) If his temperature rises significantly
6) Sudden worsening of the hives
7) If he has a sudden change in status quo (hives go away but then they come back, shilshul, etc)

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 10:50 am
Thank you very much. I am calling our dr. now. I am quite concerned though he is acting himself which is good to see for now.

ysydmom

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 11:07 am
MY dd had hives a few times but B"H the benadryl helped. Keep giving him the benedryl as needed and as the dr. told you.

Maybe he is allergic to the meds he is on or it could be something else. I would take your child of dairy as well and see if that makes a difference.

Also keep him away from nuts.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 12:11 pm
Yea the dr. said keep up the benadryl but I have to wait because it's a 6 hour dose and if I gave it now then he wouldnt get it before bed tonight so I figure I'll give it to him at dinner and then he will be covered.

Would we need to see an allergist now to get to the bottom of it all? I def cant cut out dairy as he is a super picky eater and yogurts are his staple food. He doesn't get much protein otherwise...
The only new food item he ate recently was broccoli kugel...

bnm

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
Yea the dr. said keep up the benadryl but I have to wait because it's a 6 hour dose and if I gave it now then he wouldnt get it before bed tonight so I figure I'll give it to him at dinner and then he will be covered.

Would we need to see an allergist now to get to the bottom of it all? I def cant cut out dairy as he is a super picky eater and yogurts are his staple food. He doesn't get much protein otherwise...
The only new food item he ate recently was broccoli kugel...

what was in the broccoli kugel? besides broccoli? find soy yogurts, where do you live? there is a wonderful company, Wildwood Farms, that makes parve yogurt with an OU. they are delicious. I think all the Whole Foods carry them.

soldat

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 6:22 pm
I found that the benedryl only worked for day 1 and 2 of hives and that stopped after that he needed steriods to get rid of them.

still no idea what he's alergic too, just that its something in early spring

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
My ds who is 13.5 months old had a bad cold/cough a few weeks ago which became a double ear infection. He was given amoxcicillen (sp?) and it was supposed to be a 10 day course but the pharmacy only sent 8 and I was so busy that on day 8 I couldnt get him more, he seemed fully better, so I let it go. A week or so later he was feverish again and up all night so I took him to doc who said his ears were infected again.

He was put back on the same antibiotic. After he started the med he got a horrible cold and cough yet again. It never fully went away I think.

The antibiotic kicked in but he wasnt perfect - he was still running a low grade fever on occasion. On day 7 of the antibiotic he broke out in hives all over his body. The dr. said stop the antibiotic but since his ears werent clear, he gave him zithromax. He also said to do benadryl as needed. And that I should expect the hives to linger a few days....

I saw tonight that benadryl is not for children under 2? WHy would dr. tell me to give it though? I gave it to him 3 times already...

And how dangerous are hives....what should I know now? Has anyone ever had something like this? Was it the medicine?
Thanks.

The bottle says Under age two, ask a doctor. Its safe to give, we have used on infants quite a bit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics