Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pets for therapy?

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 1:22 pm
I've heard of pets being good therapy for kids- have you ever heard of this?

I want to get two dif. pets for my two oldest children Boys - 5 1/2 and almost 4 yearl old. My four yaer old is very hyperactive. I need something that is low maintanence, yet something that my kids can connect to, feel responsible for and know that it is theirs. Something that can help them feel good about themselves. Any Idea of good animals?

mom3boys

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 1:42 pm
Keep in mind that most little pets have short life span, especially in the care of little boys

Wink

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 2:02 pm
Honestly in the past couple of days I have rreally thought of getting a pet. It seems to be very VERY calming for my daughter.

avigayil

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 2:28 pm
I grew up with animals of all kinds in my house. Just keep in mind that dog care is really expensive and a life long commitment (life of the dog that is).

My sisters dog has already cost about $1000 in the year she has had her. Talking to rescue shelters is your best best. They have policies about not letting certain animals go to homes with kids of a certain age becasue it can end in disaster. They have LOTS of experience. You also don't want to get a dog and have to give it away in a year because of allergies or the animal ripping things apart.

You could start small, with say a rabbit or guinea pigs. Kids cna cuddle, feed them, change their water bottles.

Also, my brother was EXTREMELY hyperactive and our dogs only provided minimal distraction for him when he was very small (up until about 8 or so).
www.petfinder.com is a really good website that will link you up to shelters and animal experts.
Do not go to a pet store! They have been known to sell sick animals and their primary goal is to make money.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 2:53 pm
(I must really be losing it. I thought this was "Therapy for Pets" and almost fell off my chair.)

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 3:17 pm
Only get a dog if you're interested in having another child to look after. Dogs require a lot of maintenance. . . they take up a lot of time and need a lot of care.

Obviously, a dog's a lot easier to take care of than a child, but it's still a huge committment.

Easier animals to take care of:
Bird
Rabbit
Gerbil
Chinchilla
hamster
guinea pig

avigayil

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 5:19 pm
Hey Crayon,

I know people who actually DID get therapy for their pets! No, not us either LOL

Tefila

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 6:19 pm
Talking about pets I saw no kidding a salon for dogs does the whole nine yards incl grooming massage, dogsitting and something else can't remember. They even have pics of different dogs and the cuts they give Rolling Eyes

rainbow baby

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 6:33 pm
Yes pets have got amazing healing powers. Have you ever heard of stories where people have taken small animals into childrens hospitals and the children have brightened up. They say that these children heal faster then children that do not have any animals around them. Look at this link:

http://www.drmartinwilliams.co......html

My fathers nursing home has a cat called Lucky and all the residence love her.

Has anyone heard of this trial in Israel where women after having IVF treatment had clowns broght into the room to make them laugh. In this trial it showed that women who had this therapy conceived faster.
Both these therapies are based on laughter and happiness and when someone is happy they release endorphones into the body which help heal. Again you often find in children's hospitals dr clowns.
Here's a link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5099188.stm

We have two huge rabbits and just one fish now the other one died on Sunday. But after the holidays we are getting more fish. They are great for children, it teaches them responsibality, and they love the animals. But please do not get an animal if you feel you can not give it enough time and after the initiale excitement you will lose interest. That will not be fair on the animal and is cruel. I must point out here that the rabbits are my husbands and the kids and they see to them. The fish are mine. My dh also wants to get a snake but so far I've managed to push it off.

Another consideration is that if you go away someone will have to look after the animal. We are lucky we have amazing neighbours who will look after the pets.

rainbow baby

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 6:35 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
(I must really be losing it. I thought this was "Therapy for Pets" and almost fell off my chair.)

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory....._dogs

mom3boys

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 8:01 pm
WHat about pesach? Does one prepare meals for one's pets?

I witnessed a very short and sad life of a rabbit. He belonged to a boy, who would bring him outside to show his friends. Together the kids would feed and pet the poor creature. I have never seen am animal be manhandled so much. Crying Crying Crying
As you can imagine he didn't live long in his captivity, guess it's better that way Wink

I understand the desire to have a pet and teach kids responsibility, but at this point I really think you would be getting yourself an additional job to do, since your kiddies are quite young and animals are not play things.

Jo

Post Tue, Aug 08 2006, 8:02 am
We have a dog and he and my son are very good friends. Agreed, he (the dog...) is a big commitment...but worth it. Cats are far less work so that might be an idea. I think it is great for kids to grow up round animals.

Jo

Post Tue, Aug 08 2006, 8:04 am
Crayon210 wrote:

LOL - we actually did have to take our dog for physio several times a week for a few months when he had problems with his knees as a puppy. He had such fun in the hydrotherapy pool.....

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Aug 08 2006, 8:48 am
Quote:
WHat about pesach? Does one prepare meals for one's pets?

We use Science Diet for our dog during Pesach, it's Kosher for Pesach.

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:59 am
Thanx everyone for your input.

We decided on a bird. My husband said he had heard that rodents(hamsters, guinea pigs etc.) attract other rodents so we are not taking any chances with that one. Cats and Dogs are alot more maintance then we have the ability to take care of.

"I understand the desire to have a pet and teach kids responsibility, but at this point I really think you would be getting yourself an additional job to do, since your kiddies are quite young and animals are not play things."

I'm not getting a pet just to teach my kids responsibilty - for that there are chores and other stuff around the house that they can learn - more than that I want that my kids, especially my son that's hyperactive to be able to take care of something that is his own, s/thing he can love, and that can help calm him and that he can feel good about himself.

Of course I wouldn't allow them to take care of him unsupervised, I don't need a pet to kill, but one my kids can love, and grow from.

In fact I was discussing it with my husband and we would have to build a shelf and get a lock on the cage so that my kids can't get to him when we are not watching.

anon

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 11:12 am
Dogs have been shown to be great therapy for people suffering from depression.

Just adding my own little fun fact.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics