Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
A Midnight Adventure

amother

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:05 pm
Monday night: I was psyched up to watch the lunar eclipse! I even opened the NASA web page in order to watch it online and had it bookmarked.
I must have fallen asleep with one of the kids and slept fitfully. I had a vivid dream of missing seeing the eclipse and being terribly disappointed.
Tuesday morning: At 3:30 am I was woken by a sick child. I could not remember my dream but had a strong feeling that I must see the eclipse. The baby wasn't sleeping, so I threw on a coat and bundled him up with me.
If there is one advantage to living on the top floor of a building, it's having quick access to the roof.
The steps to the roof are dirty and paint splattered. One even feels shaky. This nighttime waking is making me feel slightly out-of-body.
I open the door and step out to the roof... I sidestep a large puddle of water that has pooled near the door. The night air is clear and frigid. The city is quiet... about as quiet as Brooklyn can get. My first view of the sky is starry and dazzling, but where is the moon?
I walk around to my left and am completely awestruck.
The moon is sitting in the sky looking exactly as it does in the pictures. It is full, clear and a unique shade of copperish red that I have never seen before. Gone is the peaceful silvery glow, and behold the newness! The uniqueness! The sense of "this is a once in a lifetime event!"
I recall exclaiming in excitement, "Whoa! Whoa! This is incredible!" (Think: "Full on double rainbow" guy.)
There is no need to watch for long. I have seen it once, I have seen it all. I make an attempt at lunar photography. Fail.
I glance around, expecting to see hundreds of fellow Brooklynites gathering on their roofs to watch the eclipse. The roofs are silent. Am I the only one up tonight??
I must share the inspiration! The experience! I rush back to my apartment, alight with awe.
Husband is overjoyed at the prospect of waking up at 3:30 to stand on a freezing roof. NOT.
I take my daughter. She's up anyway with the flu. She smiles, and says, "The levana." I doubt she will remember it, but I intend to remind her.
I am happy I got to see it. I feel truly privileged.
Afterword: Husband STILL does not regret missing a full lunar eclipse!! Launches into tirade about how I must let him sleep more. Has astronomy lost its valor? Oh, well.

-Pink Pointes

S.Shcwartz

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 11:43 am
I enjoy your writing very much!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club