Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Which cookbook should I buy?

bubble gum

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 9:22 pm
I received a $25 gift card and would like to buy myself a new cookbook. I have a lot of cookbooks, and really use them all. But hey, you can always use more, right? LOL.

Here's what I have (and use)-
All the Kosher by Designs--except the newest for teens
both Kosher Palettes
Dining In
What's Cooking
TAG cookbook

I am really trying to cook healthier. As best as I can. I am looking for new weekday dinner recipes more than new shabbos recipes. What cookbook would you recommend for me?

I received Jamie Geller's first cookbook when it came out, and after flipping through it, I decided to exchange it for Dining In. I see lots of recipes from Jamie's first cookbook mentioned here though. Should I buy that one? How about Dining In 2? I don' have Spicee and Spirit...but somehow that just seems so basic at this point.

Thanks for your input!

momaleh

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 2:49 am
You will not regret Spice and Spirit, some of the recipes are basic but many aren't and EVERYTHING pretty much is in there.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 7:23 am
If you're trying to cook healthier, you might enjoy this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Norenes-.....58022

I also have a big collection of cookbooks, & I use this one a lot. There are lots of new, healthy ideas.

Also, the new KBD for teens is a fun cookbook, you might enjoy it, especially since you are a fan of the other KBD books.

And I totally agree, you can always use another cookbook!!! LOL

bubble gum

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 8:39 am
greeneyes wrote:
If you're trying to cook healthier, you might enjoy this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Norenes-.....58022

I also have a big collection of cookbooks, & I use this one a lot. There are lots of new, healthy ideas.

Also, the new KBD for teens is a fun cookbook, you might enjoy it, especially since you are a fan of the other KBD books.

And I totally agree, you can always use another cookbook!!! LOL

I actually have Norene's cookbook "Meal-Leani-Yumm" or something like that...I've had it for 8 yrs and barely every used it. Nothing I really liked...although maybe I should look at it agin.

I flipped through the new KBD and was unimpressed.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 8:52 am
I also have the other cookbook you mentioned by Norene, & I also owned it for several years & never used it much. When I started cooking more healthfully, I really took the time to look through it more, & made lots of the recipes which we loved! Norene's Healthy Kitchen is newer though, & I like it better than Meal-Leani-Yumm, the recipes are more modern and interesting.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 12:52 pm
I just got Make it Fast Cook it Slow by Stephanie O'dea. It's crockpot recipes that are super easy. It's not a kosher cookbook, but most of her recipes are adaptable.

She also has a blog crockpot365.blogspot DOT com that details alot of her recipes.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 7:55 am
Definitely get "Gatherings". It's a yeshiva compilation cookbook and everything in it is delicious. I have renewed it twice already from my library and they had to pry it from my fingers to get it back. One of these days I'll have to get it if not for the fact that I'm such a cheapskate.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:09 am
I would totally recommend spice and spirit but it seems to be out of print. cheapest copy on amazon is $80! I have all the kbd cookbooks and lots more and spice spirit is my most used. After that it is a non kosher cookbook, either good housekeeping or house and garden (red checked cover) which has excellent recipes. (I've lost the cover so can't tell you the name)

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:49 pm
I really like Gatherings and Crowning Elegance
(I never saw the TAG cookbook - how is it?!

I have MEAL-LEAN-I -YUMM -
I like it for the basics - definitly great for soups and chicken and nice swapping ideas.
I also have the other norene giletz cookbook that was mentioned above - I like it as well - lots and lots and lots of great recipes - but I dont like the format - not user friendly - too many recipes and swapping ideas on pone page -
it has great soups and chicken and muffins and breads and sides

not worth making desserts low-fat - not as good and u end up eating more - just make the real thing

Sleep

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 5:36 pm
Dining In 2-is great! Like number 1, it has different, "not the typical" recipes with NORMAL ingredients! As much as I like all the fancy cookbooks (and I do have quite a few of them!) I don't use most of the recipes because I don't know what so many of the ingredients are!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 5:39 pm
Sleep wrote:
Dining In 2-is great! Like number 1, it has different, "not the typical" recipes with NORMAL ingredients! As much as I like all the fancy cookbooks (and I do have quite a few of them!) I don't use most of the recipes because I don't know what so many of the ingredients are!

I just bought dining in 2 - I like to buy something new b4 pesach (aand use all the non chametz recipes or just change a few around that have little flour or substitute equal amounts of cakemeal and potato starch for the flour.)
how would u compare dining in 1 to dining in 2 -
I dont have dining in 1 -
I was hoping my dining in 2 would come with the pesach booklet - but I guess mine is from the new printing so it is bound like a book and not a spiral and does not have the pesach pull out cookbook - am I missing anything super special from there?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics