Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do u place your children in shopping carts?

Do u put your child in a shopping cart?
yes  
 92%  [ 51 ]
no  
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 55

mommy2

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 9:56 pm
http://www.parents.com/parents.....2.xml
shock I do

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:03 pm
Quote:
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has issued a new recommendation that parents consider alternatives to placing their kids in shopping carts, until carts are redesigned to prevent injury.

Shopping cart-related injuries are common: In 2005, more than 24,000 kids were treated in emergency rooms for these types of injuries, according to the AAP. Most of the injuries occurred when a child fell from the shopping cart, the cart tipped over, the child became entrapped in the cart, or the child fell while riding on the outside of the cart.

The most common shopping cart-related injuries were to the head and neck, which accounted for 74 percent of injuries among children younger than 15.

So what's a parent to do? Instead of putting your little one in a shopping cart, the AAP says you should:

Get another adult to come with you to watch your kids while shopping.

Put children in strollers, wagons, or frontpacks instead of in shopping carts.

Ask older children to walk and praise them for behaving and staying nearby.

Leave children at home with another adult.

Shop online if local stores offer shopping on the Internet.

What if these alternatives are not available to you? If you do take your child along to the grocery store, the AAP says you should ensure that the child is properly secured in an effective and age- and size-appropriate belt or harness. Also, you should never:

Leave a child alone in a shopping cart.

Allow a child to stand-up in a shopping cart.

Place an infant carrier on top of the shopping cart.

Allow a child to ride in the basket.

Allow a child to ride on the outside of a cart.

Allow an older child to climb on the cart or push the cart with another child inside.

In addition to asking parents to be safer when shopping, the AAP is calling on businesses to adopt shopping cart safety strategies and offer other assistance to help prevent injury, including providing a supervised in-store child-play area and customer incentives, such as stickers or other giveaways, to reward safe shopping cart behavior. The AAP is also recommending that the current U.S. safety standards for shopping carts be revised.

Depending on the age Exclamation I am sorry but I fail to see a problem as long as you are watching/supervising with them in it at all times it far safer then having them walk, trail behing imo Confused

cindy324

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:11 pm
Yeah, right. Let me see, who wants to watch my 2 year old while I grocery shop? What...no volunteers

Oh, ok, she'll definitely want to stay at the supermarket play area with a stranger, never mind she screeches even when I leave her with Bubby Rolling Eyes

Or, yeah, I know, I'll let her walk alongside me, and hope that she won't touch or quite possibly yank the whole ketchup display on top of herself, or walk out the exit when I turn around for a second to take off a box of cereal from the shelf.

PUHLEEZE! I agree tefila, there's nothing wrong or dangerous about putting your child in a shopping cart, as long as u don't walk away and leave them to climb around.

gryp

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 9:50 am
sounds like another baloney article from Parents magazine. Rolling Eyes

in all the cases they reported, it sounds to me like the children werent being supervised carefully.
its not the cart thats the problem!

cindy LOL LOL

realeez

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:00 am
Tefila wrote:
I am sorry but I fail to see a problem as long as you are watching/supervising with them in it at all times it far safer then having them walk, trail behing imo Confused

I agree but there are many many dumb mothers who aren't watching their kids properly (or they are watchng them get hurt) and that's who the aap directs their statements to.

elkayed

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:04 am
Use the belt! Then your kid will have to stay put and if you are right there pushing not much can happen.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:12 am
Where I shop they have car carts... so two sit in the front part of the cart "driving".. sometimes one walks, sometimes one sits in the basket..

As long as the child knows to sit, and behaves... we are fine.. Moment they start acting up we leave with nothing! Sometimes I let them pick a small trinket (as long as there is no screaming) they get to keep it.

Also I made a list of things that they each look for while we shop, that's fun for them.

gryp

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:17 am
Mitzvahmom- I like those ideas.

elkayed- my 11 month old can squirm out of the belt and he's not a small baby.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:37 am
GR I think you can buy a 5 point harness like strollers have to attach to the cart.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:40 am
I have seen many mothers (most of them Jewish) who were distracted by the shopping and the babies were trying to climb out of the carts. I have lost track of the times that I have pointed that out to the mothers. When I was a young mother, my 2yr old got away from me while I was using a store bathroom and the security people found him in the next store. It is not easy to shop with small children. To me it is better to shop while one parent stays home with the kids or to buy non-grocery items online. Online drugstores have decent prices. Maybe some friends can start a babysitting coop so that mothers can shop without kids. Small children hate shopping and usually get cranky or want something that they can't have.

gryp

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:41 am
thanx for the idea.
I dont go for these kinds of things though, I'd rather just teach him that he needs to sit nicely.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:42 am
I dont take this study too seriously.

a little common sense goes a long way-
if your baby is strapped in tightly, and you keep him busy with some toys or snack so he doesnt wiggle out, and you stay close with 3 eyes on him instead of leaving him half an aisle away while you look for your pickles...what more can you do?

cindy324

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 11:34 am
Quote:
To me it is better to shop while one parent stays home with the kids or to buy non-grocery items online.

Well, to me it's better also, but more times than not, I really don't have a choice in the matter. DH works 12-13 hr days.

ChavieK

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 11:50 am
Did you read the article???? It says injuries to children under age 15.Why are kids over 7 or 8 in/on a shopping cart? It's only to play & they will play on anything & get hurt on anything.One of my kids got stitches when she tripped walking in the front door. As for the babies & toddlers, I had babies before the seatbelts in the carts & they were a welcome addition.On the other hand you have to remember that seatbelts don't watch your baby.It just gives you the extra split second to catch them on the way to the floor!! Safty devices are great.I'm on the fanatic side with helmets,carseats... but they are the extra precaution. You can't walk away from your child in the shopping cart.

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 7:16 pm
Not all supermarket carts have safety belts.

I agree that internet shopping is great. I do it almost every week, could hardly manage without it.

Esther01

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 7:34 pm
Quote:
It says injuries to children under age 15.Why are kids over 7 or 8 in/on a shopping cart?

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter just imagining the sight made me laugh soooooo hard LOL LOL LOL

but I agree with mommyluv, use your common sense and motherly intuition on how to keep your child safe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics