Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Majadra - rice and lentils
Previous  1  2

HooRYou

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 3:59 am
I think you would be surprised. There are a lot of women who know they need the help and will go to classes they see advertised. Someone we know in our community was advertising classes for a while and my DH said something like why is she giving these classes? Ladies went though. Once you have given a couple of classes it shouldn't be too hard to get private clients too. Maybe ask friends in other towns to organize a shiur for you to give on household / time management. I think it is really doable for someone who really has what to teach.

mimivan

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:43 am
PrettyInPink wrote:
Funny story about majadra. My father is Egyptian and my mother Syrian. It's pretty much the same except for a few minor pronunciations in arabic (different lingos).
So my mother when she was first married made it for supper (she pronounces it minjedrah) and my father comes home sees it in the pot and goes OOOO MAGADARA!!!!!!!
Well, my mother flipped out thought it was some kind of rat in arabic or something and started screaming KILL IT KILL IT!!!!!! My father was sooo confused!!! hehe

But yeah, try it w\ a little sour cream, yum!
Rolling Laughter

bonnie

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 7:28 am
I find: Carolina's rice becomes mush, which half my family loves
Uncle Bens rice ( only long grain) usually comes echad v' echad- thats dh's favorite

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 8:14 am
PrettyInPink wrote:
But yeah, try it w\ a little sour cream, yum!

And fried onion on the top, pleeease.

I found easy-cook/parboiled rice comes out with grains more separately. The way I learned it, if I'm using regular (not parboiled) rice, I wash rice once or twice to get rid of starch coating before soaking. Also it's very important to cover the lid tightly when the rice is cooking, and let it steam for 5min after it's cooked. If the rice comes out hard in the middle, chances are likely it's either not enough soaking
or not enough steaming.

mamacita

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 3:36 pm
Ooo! I hope to make this soon, thanks CM and Tamiri for the recipes.

PrettyInPink, hysterical! How do most people pronounce it? I read it as Mahadra thanks to HS spanish Smile

Zus

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 4:00 pm
DH calls it midjadara. It's MIL's favorite food. I can't stand it.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 3:47 pm
I'm looking for a recipe with rice and came across this. I'm not making it because I'm looking for something milichig, but I just saw this dish when I went to my children's school to pay for lunch. I've never seen it before.

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 3:49 pm
You can do this milchig if you add feta cheese when serving. My kids LOVE this dish especially if I add feta and cashews to top it. You have to make lots of sauteed onions to make it really tasty.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 3:55 pm
yaelinIN wrote:
You can do this milchig if you add feta cheese when serving. My kids LOVE this dish especially if I add feta and cashews to top it. You have to make lots of sauteed onions to make it really tasty.

Thanks, I'll know for next time, but don't have feta cheese and it's hard to find also. I also have to ask my kids if they even like it. Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics