Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Visiting Israel - Advice

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 3:59 am
DH and I will iy"h be coming to Israel from the US for a few weeks with one baby. A few questions:

We'll probably spend Shabbosim/Yomtov in Jerusalem, Tzfat and Chevron.

1) We'd like to make some day trips together, possibly north (Rosh Hanikrah, Haifa, etc.). We've both been to Masada, the Dead Sea, hiking in Negev, etc. Any suggestions for day trips with a baby? Also: should we plan to take Egged or rent a car for such trips, both in terms of convenience and financially?

2) DH will be participating in a seminar in J'lem for four days. That leaves me to "explore" with the baby. I'll walk around the Old City one day - any other suggestions of things to do?

3) Also: which stroller to bring? I usually travel with an uppababy frame with car seat adaptor and car seat. Will the uppababy fit through Israeli doors? Also - I know Jerusalem isn't a very stroller friendly city. Would it be better to get a city mini?

4) Kashrus. We're Lubavitch. Any advice?

5) Eruvim.

6) Any products, spices etc. that are only available in Israel that we might be interested in buying to bring back to America?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but that's it for now. Thanks!

ora_43

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 5:05 am
Day trips - a walking tour of Tzfat (don't bring a stroller), go through the artists colony, old city, etc.

Yafo is also a nice place to tour, if somewhat similar (the main draw there is also the artists colony).

Haifa has the beach, cable cars, Bahai gardens, and the science museum. Also, you can take a quick train ride up to Akko and see the old city there. I'm not sure what else there is to do in the Haifa area.

What do you like most for touring - nature (eg. hikes, etc)? history? art or architecture?

Things to do in Jerusalem - the Israel museum, see the shuk and Meah Shearim area, meet imamothers Wink .

When touring anywhere other than Tzfat, Jerusalem, or Bnei Brak - find a restaurant ahead of time and call to make sure it's a heksher you're OK with (I have no idea what that might be). Particularly in Tel Aviv and Haifa, there are plenty of kosher places but most places aren't kosher, so plan in advance.

Whether to take a car or public transport really depends on where you're going and from where. Personally I find that it's easier (and much cheaper) to take the train when going up the coast, but cars are much easier than busing when it comes to traveling up to Tiveria, Tzfat and beyond.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 6:54 am
- If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a carrier for your baby so you can go places that are not stroller-friendly (the Old City in Yerushalayim, Rosh HaNikra, Tsfat is full of stairs, etc.) Not everything here is wheelchair (stroller) accessible.

- Strollers - I don't know the models you listed, but I'd consider these factors in deciding which to take: If you are renting a car, take the stroller most likely to fit in the trunk. If you are going by bus, take something compact that you can fold easily. Take something rugged, as pavement here can often be bumpy. And take something w/a decent-sized basket underneath so you don't have to schlepp. And it should have a decent sun visor.

- Eruvim: Almost all major (Jewish) cities have them.

- Spices to bring back: maybe za'atar (hyssop)?

catonmylap

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 7:37 am
Spices - hawaj- my current favorite...

And also check out the store/brand Pereg (in the shuk). My FIL is always picking up interesting mixes from there to take back.

Nomie

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 12:09 pm
You can get a list of every kosher restaurant in Israel from this website:

http://eluna.com/

you can print 10% coupons before you visit most of the restaurants.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 12:13 pm
Nomie wrote:
You can get a list of every kosher restaurant in Israel from this website:

http://eluna.com/

you can print 10% coupons before you visit most of the restaurants.

Eluna does not list every kosher restaurant, but it has a nice selection. There are many, many kosher places not on eluna.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 12:30 pm
Call the restaurant in advance! It may close, lose its teuda or move! But it's worth it, there are GEMS.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions