Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is there such a thing??

amother

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 12:19 pm
As a baby sleeping too much??
I know, sounds crazy but I am worried. My 5 month old DS goes to sleep at about 7-8 pm, wakes up about twice to eat until about 7am. The past few days, he woke at 7 to eat, but then went right back to sleep until 10!!! By 11 he was tired already and I was putting him back to sleep.
Its not like he just falls asleep easily and anywhere- it usually takes me about 45 mins until he's sleeping.
What does this mean? Is this a question for a doctor? Other then slight congetion he seems to be fine BH.

intrigued

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 12:24 pm
Op I was worried about my ds also. He was from a week sleeping 8-9 hours a night straight and would wake up and go back for another 3. Now at 13 months he can sleep 12-13 hours and 2 2 hrs naps a day. I took him to the Dr as I was worried and I was told when there is something wrong usually it's the opposite the baby will have trouble sleeping. He is in general an active baby reaching all his milestones etc. I was worried that maybe he was lacking iron but he has it in a vitamin daily. Some people need more sleep than others. My son slept more then that at 5 months he would sleep 12 hrs straight and an hour later already go for a nap.

checkbefore

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 12:32 pm
Babies sleep A LOT. At 6 months your baby should be sleeping 14 hours on average.

JustPlainMe

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 3:03 pm
Sounds normal to me. My babies sleep thru the night as newborns too.
If you're really concerned then discuss it with your pediatrician but it sounds perfectly ok.

obagys

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 3:16 pm
One of my kids went to sleep around 9pm and woke up at 11am. Then he would be up for an hour or so, eat a TON, then take a nap! I was also concerned, but he turned out to be fine. I would definitely mention it to the doc though if it persists, just to be sure everything is ok.

mom25

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 3:43 pm
I had the same thing with my DS-he slept a lot. Now he's a toddler & sleeps very little, he doesn't need his sleep anymore as much. He goes to sleep late & wakes up early and he can go on whole day with napping only an hour.

hadasa

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 3:54 pm
One of my kids was like that. Even when I was pregnant, I worried because she kicked less than the others. Up until about two years old, she would sleep fourteen hours straight at night and have another two-hour nap during the day. I wasn't worried because she was very alert and active when awake and developed normally bh. She's seven now and doesn't sleep more than other kids her age.

checkbefore

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 4:33 pm
Why are people concerned? Do a google search for average sleep for babies and you will see that it is normal even for a 3 year old to sleep 13 hours!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 4:37 pm
I wish my baby slept like that! I'm lucky if he sleeps more than two hours straight...

amother

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 11:38 pm
Thanks for your responses.
The thing is that sometimes he can have a good 12 hour night (waking up twice for feedings), and then 2 two hour naps!!! That equals 16! Not 14!
I'll have a doctor appointment in about another month. Should I go in earliier?

melalyse

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 11:03 am
If he is waking twice a night for feedings, you also deduct the time that he is feeding from total night sleep. So if he wakes up twice for 20 minutes, that is 40 minutes less. 15.5-16 hours is totally in the normal range for a 5 month old.

Chavelamomela

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 11:07 am
It sounds wonderful! As long as he is peeing & pooping and growing (are his clothes getting smaller?) and reaching milestones (is he rolling over? lifting his torso when he's face-down?), then I would enjoy your opportunity to sleep, get stuff done, and have "me-time" during his naps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics