Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you keep from year to year?
Previous  1  2

Isramom8

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 4:12 am
Liba, think of it as a flavored drink.

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 4:18 am
I will stick with water. I don't need the calories, especially if I don't appreciate them. Smile I am looking forward to Tropicana on our America trip. Once every six years or so we can indulge. Smile

shalhevet

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 4:37 am
Liba wrote:
Doesn't orange juice need to be refrigerated?

I suppose it's heat treated or something, but it doesn't need refrigeration until it's opened.

yc

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 4:47 am
FYI potato starch can get bugs in it (maybe only if opened?) I did once get bugs in old pot starch.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 5:49 am
Squeeze your own OJ. Grandma did, and so do I, delicious and nutritious!

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 5:49 am
Smile We do on occasion... but my kids don't love the pulp and it takes a lot of oranges.

Pizza

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 5:57 am
I save tea and coffee (although this year, the coffee was green, so I will no longer be saving coffee)
also spices and pesadik noodles (which noone eats anymore, so I will no longer be buying them)
this year I decided to save vinegars (balsamic, red wine and white wine)
everything else gets used during the year - oil goes rancid, other stuff gets buggy or clumpy

shalhevet

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 6:01 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Squeeze your own OJ. Grandma did, and so do I, delicious and nutritious!

When you are making almost everything from scratch, it makes things easier to open a jar of Eida juice (orange or lemon) when you are in the middle of a cake or recipe - I saw you use many more prepared foods than we do, so maybe you don't mind squeezing oranges. Also, if someone wants some to drink on Shabbos, you need it ready. We don't buy ready drinks apart from this and plain, unsweetened soda water. Maybe you use other juice/ drinks on Pesach?

elaela

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:03 am
we will b´´H have a small pesachdig kitchen next year (in addition to our regular one) . it will also be the first pesach b´´H that we will be at home (oh and the entire family announced, that they will fly in and stay by us) Smile

so I really want to start early next year with my pesach preparations. where I live, pessach stores open about 2 weeks before pessach, I want to start before that however. so I stock up on oil, sugar and potato starch etc (ie the basics), and keep open spices, cans etc.

I will then only need to buy fresh fruit/veggies/nuts and can start baking cakes, cooking compots, sqeezing and freezing fruit juices, making veggie-soups, preparing kugels etc. far earlier. ill freeze all the stuff, and in the two weeks be4 pesach ill just have to make chicken, brisket and fish and fresh salads. I guess this way it will be less chaotic.
any advice welcome Smile

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:52 am
I'm not saving anything. But then there isn't much here.

I'd consider storing the unopened boxes of KLP almond milk I bought for the kids who don't drink real milk, but they didn't even like it very much and more importantly it expires before next pesach anyhow.

Levtov

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:59 am
Oil becomes rancid. It is better to use when fresh. Unopened starch, sugar, foil pans, paper towel, silver foil, dishwashing soaps,spices for charoses, salt all come in handy when I open my pesach kitchen.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 1:17 am
Anything still sealed, that will definitely NOT be used during the year.this year its Cake meal, potato starch and confectionery sugar. Cans that I use through the years stay out, as do spices and oil.

saraleah2010

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 2:19 am
I don't keep anything...everything gets moved into the mix of my regular kitchen (I do throw OUT cinnamon when I'm pesach cleaning, since I always buy new for the charoset, and that jar typically makes it close to the bottom by the time the next pesach rolls around).

We keep a set of fleishig pots and pans, baking pans, a fleishig dishrack, flatware, mixing bowls, cutting board, wash basins, etc.

we need to think about getting a knife sharpener for next year, as the cutting knives are starting to get a little dull and I can't use our year-round sharpener on them.

Simple1

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 8:22 am
I don't save any food. I just continue to use the spices - they are the same as all year 'round anyway. Like tablepoetry, I even get rid of old spices when Pesach cleaning. I can't possibly see how spices would have the same potency a year later. I have even heard that some people store spices in the freezer to keep it fresh -especially paprika which turns bitter. I even once found bugs in paprika.

Potato starch I will toss - but I'm not left with too much this year.

I was actually surprised by a friend who just told me that she saves spices and stuff - till I saw this thread.

Last edited by Simple1 on Wed, Apr 27 2011, 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

shaini

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 8:23 am
Unopened potato starch, chocolate chips and blocks, cocoa, drinking cocoa, tinned fish, tinned tomato paste, marshmallows, ketchup, vinegar, unopened salad dressings, coffee (I don't use much each year) and spices although every few years I replace them. Like Liba I keep a list in the cupboard of what I have and what I need to buy.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 9:03 am
Sweet-n-low and sweetie

My mil gave us a box of those two sugars. It was really a box of sweeties and some sweet-n-lows in it. I have no idea how long she had them for. Does anyone even know if they make sweeties anymore? I never heard of it till she gave it to us. I think they're made by paskesz.

JewishMother18

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 9:33 am
I've never tried this before but I had opened bags of ground almonds, potato starch and cake meal - none of which I'll use during the year. I've bagged them all and put them in the freezer. Has anyone done this?

I've also stored unopened cocoa powder, balsamic vinegar, vanilla essence, a block of dates and vanilla sugar sachets.

I keep in my Pesach cupboard almond/amaretto liqueur from year to year.

Anything that I'll use during the year I keep out as I don't see the point of putting it away when I know I'll find it on the shelves again next Pesach.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 10:00 am
Tossed a whole packaged Pesach cake - it was awful, and 25 shekel! Remind me to skip buying processed cakes and cookies. The chocolate cookies the kids ate, but not the chocolate chip ones so much. I did buy fancy looking Badatz chocolate macaroon-type cookies that were pretty okay.

I think chocolate makes almost anything passable, even pure potato starch.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics