Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Wills

amother

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 9:55 am
Has anyone made a will? If yes, what is the importance of a will and any recommendations on a lawyer who writes up wills.

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 9:58 am
never made a will but planning on it soon. there is I think two types of wills, one where you discuss your money and whatever you own, another one is for safety of your children in the event if a parent passes away before the child is 18, so if that happens god forbid you can write who you want to take care of your kids so they dont become the ward of the court

LisaS

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 10:21 am
Amother, thanks for bringing up this important topic!!!
That is also something we have been meaning to get around to even though we should have done it a while ago. We have life insurnace but want a will to specify custody of kids, etc.
Does anyone have any advice? Did you go to a lawyer to do this? We live in NYC now and planning to make aliya soon. We also want to follow halacha of course.
I am not interested in a living will at this point just one that deals with the kids.

rosehill

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 3:57 pm
We just signed our wills a few weeks ago. It took us a long time to "get around to it", but I'm glad it's done. The will discusses physical custody of the children, as well as financial arrangements for them.
The lawyer also drew up living wills for us, specifying who makes financial and medical decisions in the event one of us is incapacitated.
There were other legal and financial documents we signed, but I didn't really understand them. They were to do with estate planning, in order to minimises taxes for our heirs.
If you pm me, I'll tell you more about my lawyer. She did a fantastic job.

Chani

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 5:47 pm
be sure to consult a frum lawyer who does this kind of work. There are halachic considerations if you and your husband want to leave your estates to each other (which most people do) which can be addressed by someone knowledgable about the halacha. I don't remember the details, since we had ours done a long time ago...

avigayil

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 6:13 pm
We have a lawyer in our neighborhood who does halachic wills. Dh and are are finishing ours up. Our #1 priority was that in case, G-d forbid, both of us died at once, our kids would be with a loving frum family. Our families are nice, but either not Jewish or not frum.
Life insurance of course is a given when you have kinder.

Our rav oversaw our will and advised us how to do things by halacha...i.e.our dh is a behor and how we would split things up evenly among any other kinder we have.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 6:19 pm
if g-d forbid you and your husband is in an accident you should write
who you would want where the kids to live.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics