Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
2 chicken breasts = 5 servings, how?

In the kitchen

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 2:29 am
I just found out we're having guests...does anyone have recipes or ideas on how I can make two chicken breasts feed 5 people?

Seraph

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:22 am
http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

You can do something like this just with bread crumbs and herbs, etc...
Or you can make it stuffed with a kishka type filling. Or even wrapped around mashed potatoes mixed with eggs.

Marion

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:23 am
On the bone or off? Schnitzeled already or not? I'd say cut it into fine strips add some veggies and stir fry!

Strawberry

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:27 am
Stir fry.

ReallyRosie

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:29 am
Slice it in strips and cook it in honey. Serve with diced cooked sweet potato and chopped green onion over cous cous. Smile And add 1 clove of minced garlic at the end. This is great served cold as well as hot.

momaleh

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:30 am
Make some sort of roll - I often make a filling of finely chopped zucchini and onion sauteed with basil and garlic, then I add salt, pepper, a bit more oil and bread crumbs to form a paste. I place a heaping tablespoon in each cutlet and roll up. Then I brush with a bit of oil and sprinkle garlic, paprika and more bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.

Each cutlet can be cut into 5, so everyone can get two pieces.

Alternatively, you can make a nice salad with cut up chicken , or dice the chicken and make Chinese style.

In the kitchen

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:44 am
Thank you everyone for the input! Everything sounds delicious!

My oven is out of commission right now...and no bread crumbs in the house (nor bread to crumb)

The chicken is on the bone, pieces from a whole chicken we bought.

No soy sauce for stir fry...I do have some honey, but dh doesn't like his chicken sweet...
any more ideas? We're stretching the creativity today!

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:46 am
Easy enough; slice the meat off the bones (if it is not already off the bone) and mix with veggies. Serve with rice or pasta. You can use the bones to make the soup.

OR:
Make a delicious chicken salad...if your area is hot this is welcome as a great meal for lunch or dinner.

OR:

Tempura or beer batter chicken pieces, stir fry some veggies, make a tamari honey sauce. Or tempura/beer batter all the veggies and the chicken and make dipping sauce.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:54 am
Easy Chicken Caciattore:

green and/or red peppers, diced
onion, diced
chicken breast
2 cups of uncooked rice
1 can tomato paste
salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano to taste

Saute peppers and onions until onions are translucent.

Dice the chicken and add to the pot. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.

Cook rice.

Add tomato paste, 1 to 1 1/2 cans of water and the spices to the pot and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Add the rice.

Serve hot.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:55 am
In the kitchen wrote:
Thank you everyone for the input! Everything sounds delicious!

My oven is out of commission right now...and no bread crumbs in the house (nor bread to crumb)

The chicken is on the bone, pieces from a whole chicken we bought.

No soy sauce for stir fry...I do have some honey, but dh doesn't like his chicken sweet...
any more ideas? We're stretching the creativity today!

You don't need tamari to stir fry.
Sauté onions in pan till caramelized. Add the sliced meat, cutting it from the bones. Use the bones to add to your soup. Sauté the meat. Add garlic, carrot slices, cabbage or whatever other veggie you've got and you enjoy. Add water when everything is nice and brown and various spices to give it a kick. Serve with rice. If you have almonds or peanuts you can add those to the mix as well. If you have miso you can substitute the miso for the tamari/soy sauce.

It will taste fine.

OR like I said, sauté the meat, and make a chicken salad...you can cut up whatever vegetables you enjoy and mix together with a dressing of your choice...garlic or olive oil and vinegar or mayo.

Do you have flour?
Make a batter out of the flour, water and flour is fine...add some vinegar and baking soda, then you won't need the salt, dip and deep fry. I did this with fish and it was delicious. Any leftover dough can be fried as well or used to deep fry veggies.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 4:08 am
bread and fry and make a sauce, like lemon sauce or sweet and sour. You can use potato starch if you have leftover from that holiday we just finished. dip in starch, egg and starch and fry.

2 whole breasts will make at least 5 medium peices of schnitzle as well. (I make lots of small peices when I do schnitzle)

mummy-bh

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 4:29 am
I make this, but I cut the chicken up into bite-sized pieces

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

In the kitchen

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 4:44 am
Thank you so much everyone!

ora_43

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 4:49 am
Chicken with rice. My recipe calls to fry some garlic and tumeric (about two cloves and two teaspoons), then add rice, lightly fried strips of chicken breast to rice, and chicken broth and a bit more tumeric (or water with salt and spices to taste). Toward the end (when the rice is almost cooked) you can add frozen peas or carrots, fresh tomato, or canned chickpeas. I usually use raw carrots in thin slices and add them at the beginning, with the rice.

You could also do a stew, like a chicken with lentils and potato thing. I have a recipe for s/thing like that - probably a bit late now, so I won't go looking for it.

ora_43

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 7:16 am
I forgot the best one I know - too late now but for later.

Fry chicken breast pieces with some salt, tumeric and a pinch of chile powder.

Separately, make rice and tortillas (I like this recipe: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.......html).

Serve along with chopped tomato, chopped onions, and canned beans as make-your-own-chicken-tortillas.

The same idea can be used to make 250g of ground beef serve 5 people.

suzyq

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 9:45 am
This is one of my favorite recipes and just a little chicken makes a lot - http://shine.yahoo.com/channel.....6386/

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 10:04 am
Chicken pot pie
or the chicken/pastrami/potato pie I've posted on this site.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 10:34 am
ora_43 wrote:
I forgot the best one I know - too late now but for later.

Fry chicken breast pieces with some salt, tumeric and a pinch of chile powder.

Separately, make rice and tortillas (I like this recipe: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.......html).

Serve along with chopped tomato, chopped onions, and canned beans as make-your-own-chicken-tortillas.

The same idea can be used to make 250g of ground beef serve 5 people.

That does sound good Ora.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen