Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Suggestions for something to learn with my husband

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:02 pm
I want to learn something with my husband, not mussar.

What are some things that you would learn or suggest?

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:17 pm
Halacha? How about Hilchos Shabbos...

Hashkafa? How about Pirkei Avos (seasonally appropriate...and widely published...)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:21 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Halacha? How about Hilchos Shabbos...

Hashkafa? How about Pirkei Avos (seasonally appropriate...and widely published...)
ooohhh, pirkei avot, that sounds like a good one. Thanks.
Hilchot shabbat also sounds good.

Depressed

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:32 pm
Chasidus... Tanya...Yesod Shoresh V Avodah

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:35 pm
Depressed wrote:
Chasidus... Tanya...Yesod Shoresh V Avodah
oops, I should have added this also as something that we dont want to learn. We are not into chassidut.

We want more practical things to study like different halachot (suggestions please) or different parts of tanach (which are fascinating to learn) Smile

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:42 pm
I have been trying to work on learning Mishlei...so far I have not found a commentary/compilation in English that is "doing it" for me. I wonder what my DH would do if I suggested we learn together...it's an interesting thought, and it would definitely be new.

Hilchos Kashrus and Hilchos Chol Hamoed would probably also be very prudent to learn/relearn at some point...I need more time (gotta get off the computer 8) )!!!

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:47 pm
Are you not into Philosophy at all? Have you thought of Rav Soloveitchik's books?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:50 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Are you not into Philosophy at all? Have you thought of Rav Soloveitchik's books?
That could be interesting, but I am not so sure that it is up my husband's alley. I am going to ask him.

hadasa

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 3:57 pm
I know you said you don't want Chassidus, but I will still put out a suggestion for the Lubavitcher Rebbe's Sichos. You will find there analytical discussions on Mishna, Gemara, Chumash with Rashi... I know of quite a few people from various walks of Judaism who really enjoy learning them. If you'd be interested, I could recommend specific volumes you'd be most likely to enjoy.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 4:53 pm
Medrash Hamevo'ar or Ein Yakov which is Agaddata (not halachah) of Gemara. They're both very interesting.

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 4:55 pm
R' Chaim Friedlander has seforim on Yomim Tovim as well as one on middos. The Hebrew is fairly easy, and I am pretty sure he translates most Aramaic as well.

Anyhow, Shaya Ostrov has a book in English on improving your marriage based on R' Chaim's chapter on Menuchas haNefesh. You might try either one. Even if your marriage is great....

B"H

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 5:50 pm
if I had time to learn with my husband, I would learn gemara! Wink we keep saying we'll do it- maybe one day...
or tanach- so many interesting stories there, like you said.
try shimshon, really interesting- especially if you learn with meam loez- such cool stuff in there.
whatever you learn, ENJOY!

justcallmeima

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 10:34 pm
My husband and I learn a sicha every shabbos and we love it. But I am thinking of asking him to teach me how to lein. I think it will be fun and there is a lot of meaning in the trop and it also helps your proper pronunciation in reading. I'll let you know how it goes.[align=right]

Rollerblades

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 10:35 pm
We're learning Garden of Emunah together. It's a great experience so far.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics