Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
OT advice needed

amother

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 2:10 pm
hi all! okay, so I need some help here. My 4 and a half yr old son is kn"h a great kid. Bh I have no problems with him, except one issue. To make a long story short I spoke to my doctor and he told me, which I figured, it seems my son has sensory issues and needs Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I'm stuck now. He gave me a number to call but its private and extremely expensive. I cant even tell her about my son without paying a lot of money. If I have to I will trust me. There is nothing I wouldnt do for my children.

My question is where to go from here. Are there any angencies to call? How does OT work? Is it covered by insurance? How is it intergrated into school? Can an OT help with CBT as well?

Please help I dont know anything about this. Thank you.

amother

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 2:41 pm
Sensory processing disorder is treated with sensory integration therapy- administered by an OT, occasionally a PT specially trained in that area.

CBT is generally used to treat emotional disorders. I'm not sure why your dr would recommend it, unless the underlying issue is not actually SPD.

goforit

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 2:55 pm
well if you are in ny or nj you should call the boe and have him tested. if he needs the service they will pay for it. you will have to show it is effecting him in his learning. also many insurance cover it. call them and ask them. good luck.

ceo

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
hi all! okay, so I need some help here. My 4 and a half yr old son is kn"h a great kid. Bh I have no problems with him, except one issue. To make a long story short I spoke to my doctor and he told me, which I figured, it seems my son has sensory issues and needs Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I'm stuck now. He gave me a number to call but its private and extremely expensive. I cant even tell her about my son without paying a lot of money. If I have to I will trust me. There is nothing I wouldnt do for my children.

My question is where to go from here. Are there any angencies to call? How does OT work? Is it covered by insurance? How is it intergrated into school? Can an OT help with CBT as well?

Please help I dont know anything about this. Thank you.

I am not really a "buki" in this, but why would your kid need CBT for sensory issues? My kid gets both! Very Happy Smile, the treatments and symptoms are related, and the therapies work together, but OT helps with his SI issues, and CBT is for his related anxiety.

I don't know your doctor or anything, but I've found that "regular' pediatricians are often not so well versed in developmental/behavioral problems. you might want to take a deep breath and start over. Perhaps try a developmental/behavioral pediatrician in your area. I don't know where you live, but you can usually find one at any large teaching hospital. Be aware: they might have long waiting lists to get in! My son started seeing one in February, we check in every few months, and she always has good ideas for treatment, etc... I have found her to be much more helpful than our regular pediatrician with behavior issues. That's what she was trained in and that's what she deals with every day, so she has much more experience in it, as opposed to my regular ped. who spends half of her day with ear infections, vaccinations, etc...

OT will often be covered by insurance, but it's often limited to a certain number of visits. There are tons of agencies to call to help- why don't you ask on this board for an OT in your area?

Also, regarding CBT, we were BH able to find someone covered by insurance through a local Jewish community service agency. We still pay about $50 a session, but its much cheaper than if we had to pay privately ($120 a session or more). For example, if you live in New york, you can call the Jewish board of children and family services and ask for a referral for someone who can help you. you can also call your insurance company and ask for a list of therapists that work with kids.

hatzlacha!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 12:52 pm
OT you can get thru board of ed. have your school request an evaluation.

CBT you can probably get thru insurance. what do you have?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)