Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Making a sephardic shabbos lunch
Previous  1  2

crush

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 8:50 pm
Lady Godiva, I would love to have the exact recipe for your lachmajin (I must've murdered the spelling of that word)! Would you mind typing it up? Thanks Smile

PIP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 9:55 pm
lahmagien Wink

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:07 pm
crush wrote:
Lady Godiva, I would love to have the exact recipe for your lachmajin (I must've murdered the spelling of that word)! Would you mind typing it up? Thanks Smile

Lahmagine
2 lbs. chopped meat
1 cup tamarind sauce
1 minced onion
1/2 teaspoon ground cinamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1/2 cup lemon juice
pinch of salt

Mix all the ingredients together. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of meat mixture on dough and flatten it. Bake on 350* for 20-25 minutes.

Makes about 48 pieces.

[For the dough you can use (Mazor's) round pizza doughs or filla dough squares or any dough recipe that would bake flat.]

Amital

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:29 pm
I make jachnun from scratch every month or so and freeze. You can do jachnun for Shabbat lunch! I roll up the dough, wrap in aluminum foil, and put on top of the eggs/chamin (whole raw eggs in my "cholent" to cook with the chamin).

Zhug is good to include, too. At least it's my husband's favorite!

mimivan

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:56 pm
Try Morocaan cholent or dafina

1 cup dried chickpeas
• oil
• 2 chopped onions
• 4 garlic cloves
• 6 pieces marrow bones
• 3 pounds chuck roast cut into pieces
• 10 peeled potatoes
• 3 Tbls honey
• 1 Tbls paprika
• 1 teasp cumin
• 1/2 teasp cinnamon
• salt & pepper
• 6 to 8 large eggs, in shell

Soak chickpeas in water overnight.

Drain.

Heat oil in a 6- to 8-quart pot over medium eat.

Add onions and saute' until soft and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes.

Add, without mixing, the chickpeas, garlic, bones, meat, potatoes and honey, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.

Add eggs and enough water to cover.

Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, occasionally skimming the foam, for 1 hour.

Tightly cover the pot, place in a 225-degree oven, and cook overnight.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:40 am
Ima2NYM_LTR,
You can keep jachnoon double-wrapped in alum foil and leave it on blech. Personally, I use the frozen ones, dip them very quickly in water before wrapping so the end products end up fluffy, almost steamed.

imato5, another version of moroccan fish casserole
sautee 2 large chopped onions till translucent in a bit of oil, together with a pinch of cumin seed. Add 1 tinned chopped tomato, 2cup water 1/2 cup white wine (or just use 2.5cup water), 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped stalks celery (or 1 large bulb sliced fennel), 4-5 clove garlic (peeled, smashed or cut in quarters), a pinch of safran (this really makes difference) and cook for about 20min. Meanwhile wash and pat dry white fish fillets (we mostly use cod or haddock fillets), clean a small bunch of corriander, leaving small amount of leaves for garnishes. Lower flame, add fish and lay corriander (leaves and stalks) on top of fish. Simmer uncovered for 15min or so till fish is cooked and liquid evaporates a bit. Harissa optional for serving. Great with couscous or steamed rice.

macaroni/spaghetti with chicken--it's more Fri night than shabbat lunch, no?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:55 am
couldnt find jachnoon at my local store :-(

simmysb

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 9:00 pm
frozen jachnun. Excellent. Now thats my kinda cooking. Where can u buy the stuff in the uk? (kosher brands/stores). That foreign stuff is hard 2 cook. Even humas we tried and gave up and hilbah... Tried some morrocan stuff but hubby isn't used to savoury with sweet on it like honey and apricots.

Sephardi lunch seems to be loads of different salads, eggplant stuff, spicy stuff, spreads and soup.

Oh and nuts and fruit for desert (instead of cakes and icecream). Very healthy.

So to do a sephardi lunch I'd put together dips, salads, and a spicy tomatoe base sauce for the fish and fruit (just cut up plain) for desert. Smile

simmysb

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 9:06 pm
Heres a jachnoon recipe found online for all u cooks out there. No idea if it works cause haven't bothered to do it, but sounds similiar to look fo the way sis inlaw does it (but without the dough mixer bit). Ingredients look simple enough. Good luck.

Servings: 12 Servings

Ingredients
DOUGH

* 1 kg Flour
* 50 g Butter / margarine
* 7 ts Sugar
* 4 ts Salt
* 3 1/2 c Warm water

FOR OILING

* 150 g Butter / margarine

Preparation

Source: Israel Aharoni column. Put all ingredients in a bowl (or mixer with a plastic blade) knead the dough until smooth, elastic and shinny. Cover with a wet towel and put aside for 30 min. Knead the dough again until the dough is very flexible and absolutely non-stick. Again cover with a wet towel and put aside for 30 min. Knead the dough again. Divide into 12 equal size balls (about the size of a tennis ball). Cover with a wet towel for another hour. ROLLING: For the rolling prepare 150 g of very soft butter / margarine (heat in microwave for a short period). Grease the working area. Roll out the dough ball to a square leaf as large and as thin as you can. Stretch the rolled dough a little with your hands. Spread soft butter / margarine over the dough and fold it : a third of the leaf fold to the center the other third on the first (as in puff pastry). Youll get a long rectangle with three layers. start rolling from the nearest narrow side to the next. Youll get a bun sized role. Grease the inside of a pot you can put in the oven. Arrange the rolls in layers in the pot. Cover the pot with cooking parchment and then with its cover. Heat the oven to 90C and bake overnight. The jachnun should be light brown when ready. Serve with fresh tomatoes mash and zehug (see archive) Posted to JEWISH-FOOD digest V97 #001 From: eyal adelman Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 20:15:35 +0200

Cuisine: Uncategorized Main Ingredient:

Tags: [edit]

Groups: [edit]

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 9:47 am
simmysb wrote:
frozen jachnun. Excellent. Now thats my kinda cooking. Where can u buy the stuff in the uk? (kosher brands/stores). That foreign stuff is hard 2 cook. Even humas we tried and gave up and hilbah... Tried some morrocan stuff but hubby isn't used to savoury with sweet on it like honey and apricots.

Sephardi lunch seems to be loads of different salads, eggplant stuff, spicy stuff, spreads and soup.

Oh and nuts and fruit for desert (instead of cakes and icecream). Very healthy.

So to do a sephardi lunch I'd put together dips, salads, and a spicy tomatoe base sauce for the fish and fruit (just cut up plain) for desert. Smile

simmysb, are you in London? Jachnoon--Kosher Kingdom, Just Kosher and Yarden carry them. They might be in the middle of switching over for pesach (though I spotted one at Yarden last week). We like the ones that come in yellow/blue box (Maadanot?) that's pre-cooked (ie already browned). Technically you can microwave it (it says so, heat X dakot on the package) but we double-wrap in foil and leave it in the oven/plata overnight.

Hilbeh--super easy. You'll need fenugreek seed (I use whole seeds from Natco), soak it overnight in about triple the amount of water. Throw away water. Blend in food processor (handheld one will do) with salt, water, a whole bunch of corriander leaves, 1-2 garic clove, a small bit of peeled ginger roots, lemon juice, red pepper/zchug to your taste. It should look fluffy/frothy/glutenous. You can freeze it or keep in the fridge for about 1wk if covered in tupperware.

Tiale

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 3:25 am
How do you make syrian potato salad? And what spices are in chamin? What grains?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 3:57 pm
Chamin--I use combination of cumin, paprika, cinnamon (a must) and a bit of all spice. For grains we use wheat grains, if not available brown rice would be a closer alternative.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics