Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Did you have a theme at your sons upsherin
Previous  1  2  3

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 12:20 am
Imo the upshernish itself is the theme why take away from it, I would just work with that making it all upshernish related.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 6:14 am
shayna82 wrote:

for me, I want nice partys for my kids to have those nice memories, since I didnt have that growing up. thats a reason enough. a good partty, a good time, a nice memory for my kid to look back at.

Ummm, actually, most 3 year olds couldn't care 2 bits how much money you spend on their upsherin. They will more than likely be too overwhelmed by having lots of people. All they will be interested in is a) the candies b) the presents, especially if they involve cars.

if you want to make a party that they will enjoy, just invite friends and family. Save the money for their 5th, 6th, 7th birthdays which they will care plenty about.

Not that I did that. But I didn't have a theme either. My dh is the Rabbi here, so we made it in the shul hall (which we didn't have to pay for) and I cooked e/thing at home. I made it on sunday afternoon, teatime and we had party food - sandwiches*, trifle, cakes, cookies etc. My dh's aunt came over for it and she decorated a cake, which was beautiful. (I think it was tzitzis shape) Other family came too, so I had help setting it up. If we weren't shluchim, I would just make a small party at home, and invite friends and family.

*I made the sandwiches in a spiral shape. You get a loaf of bread cut lengthways, spread a piece of bread, roll it up, and slice into spirals. Easy and looks nice.

klotzkashe

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 10:02 pm
I was just at a really nice upsherin where they hired a jumping castle (not too expensive actually) for the children to play on. Here in aussie opsherenishes generally are geared tot eh freinds of the parents and are typically held at night (esp. if the bday of the child falls out midweek) this boys mom wanted her sons opsherneish to be all about kids. THe kids had a blast!

shayna82

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 10:16 pm
Tefila wrote:
Imo the upshernish itself is the theme why take away from it, I would just work with that making it all upshernish related.

I have a very simple question for anyone that has a problem with upserhin themes:

why do you think there is a minhag to put honey on a siddur?
why do you have flowers at a wedding for centerpieces, if just the concept of getting married is the point of a wedding?
why have a sit down catered meal, or nice desert reception for a bar mitzva, if the putting of tefillin on is the whole point?

shayna82

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 10:17 pm
Motek wrote:
EVERYONE'S words?? Really? Amazing! Must be some kind of record!

is that your way out of a question in which you have nothign to answer? it sure sounds like it!!!!

shayna82

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 10:24 pm
Rifky wrote:
shayna82 wrote:

for me, I want nice partys for my kids to have those nice memories, since I didnt have that growing up. thats a reason enough. a good partty, a good time, a nice memory for my kid to look back at.

Ummm, actually, most 3 year olds couldn't care 2 bits how much money you spend on their upsherin. They will more than likely be too overwhelmed by having lots of people. All they will be interested in is a) the candies b) the presents, especially if they involve cars.

if you want to make a party that they will enjoy, just invite friends and family. Save the money for their 5th, 6th, 7th birthdays which they will care plenty about.

Not that I did that. But I didn't have a theme either. My dh is the Rabbi here, so we made it in the shul hall (which we didn't have to pay for) and I cooked e/thing at home. I made it on sunday afternoon, teatime and we had party food - sandwiches*, trifle, cakes, cookies etc. My dh's aunt came over for it and she decorated a cake, which was beautiful. (I think it was tzitzis shape) Other family came too, so I had help setting it up. If we weren't shluchim, I would just make a small party at home, and invite friends and family.

*I made the sandwiches in a spiral shape. You get a loaf of bread cut lengthways, spread a piece of bread, roll it up, and slice into spirals. Easy and looks nice.

who said Im inviting more than friends and family. I dont get your post as a reply to my party ideas.

happy2beme

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 10:02 am
I don't remember this being done by the other upsherins I've gone to, but by my nephew's upsherin, all the men danced with the bday boy. I thought it was so sweet & spiritual. The boy was in 7th heaven & it gave a really simchadik & torah feel to the party. Plus, the music was very appropriate (moshe emes vsoraso emes, etc.)

Did anyone else see this at other upsherins? I thought it was a gr8 idea!

shayna82

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 8:44 pm
that is such a sweet idea, maybe we will incorporate that on sunday at my sons upsherin!!!

thanks!

and p.s. to all those that think having a theme is gonna take a way... you are all welcome to come to the party in pittsburgh this sunday, to check out how lovely I tied everything in to the upsherin theme with a truck theme.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics