Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Wait or buy what you can afford?

lamplighter

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 6:40 pm
I have an idea of something I want (for my home), it is not a luxury but I have not been able to afford a nice set until now. I know exactly what I'd like but it's expensive. It's rather out of my league and I doubt my husband would agree to such a purchase. Should I rather buy something I'm not crazy over or wait till I can perhaps one day afford my "dream". When I first got married I bought something really cheap just to have but I was not happy with it, I don't want to end up doing that again. If I buy this "not crazy over it" set, I cannot afford to buy another for the next 10 years or so.
What would you do?

zaq

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 6:58 pm
there's no right or wrong here, it all depends on your personality. I have two friends of opposite personality. A will never buy so much as a pair of sox unless it's exactly what she wants, even if she has to go to 20 stores over a period of several years. She will also return things if they disappoint, and if that means doing without a couch for three months while they reshape the cushions, so be it. B wants what she wants when she wants it, has no patience to go to multiple places, if she sees what she wants, she buys it. Not for her waiting 2 years, and if it's not precisely the shade of peacock blue that matches her dishes or she doesn't love the drawer pulls, so be it. The secret to her happiness is she never second-guesses. Once she buys it, in her mind it's the best, she doesn't look to see if she could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere or gotten s/t better.

In short, you have to know yourself and whether youll be endlessly second-guessing yourself and having regrets ifyou buy now, whether you can stand doing without for a while while you save up or look for the best deal. If yes, then why not wait and get the best. but if you hate shopping or doing without, and you're unhappy not having whatever right now, then buy what yopu can afford. Often "good enough" really is good enough, and "the best" is an unnecessary luxury.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 7:08 pm
Could you sell the unnamed item at some point; or donate it and get a tax deduction ?

allrgymama

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 7:29 pm
Is it something that you'll NEED another set of in 10 years?

I feel that when it comes to big ticket items, it's worth it to spend a little bit more (electronics, major kitchen appliances, furniture) most of the time and get that extra quality and life that that quality gives you. Yes, you can buy a cheap computer, but chances are it will break and you'll be doing work on it and have to replace it earlier.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 7:29 pm
I can only say what I'd do if I'd be in your position (and I have been in the past). I'd wait it out to buy the one I want. If it isn't a necessity, but a luxury item, it seems silly to buy something you won't enjoy. Now, granted, if the choices were a decent sofa for $700 vs THE one you want, which costs $4500, obviously, get the 700 bucks sofa because you can use it for years until you can save up/afford the more expensive sofa you really want.

To me, it boils down to how much do I want the item? How much do I want the more expensive item? Will I be fine without it until I can afford the better one some day?

Also, would it be possible to save up some cash to buy the more expensive one? Even if it's just $10 a month or whatever. In the end, it adds up and you will hopefully be able to buy the one you want.

Fabulous

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 7:32 pm
How long do you think to save for the one you like? If you managed till now with the old one, I would wait a bit and stretch to get the one I really wanted. Although, I have a hard time giving an opinion because I don't know what it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains